Largest Latrodectus?

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
Yup that is a biggun 2" if I am seeing it correctly.
Cought some big widows in Florida that looked that big I suppose. The abdomens looked like they had very fine velvet on them

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you should spend more time in the watering hole if you thought that was dumb...
TWH has bored me lately and I have been skipping most threads and the drama present them....

Also look for a T blondi over 10 or 11 inches yet the largest is just over 13.
That is perfectly fine, but realize that a blondi being 18%-30%(10"-11" vs 13") larger than normal and a widow being 100%-200%(2"-3" vs 6") larger than normal is completely different.

Also, can you cite the source for a 13" blondi? I have heard a possibility of a 12" one being a MM but I have never seen any confirmed reports.

Last edited:

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This isnt drama, I am simply pointing out things that are untrue or misleading in your posts. Most of my posts in this thread have contained information related to this topic.

I pointed out logical and factual flaws in your post and now I am making drama?

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
Dumbest post of the day award...cmon man ya started it with the derogatory remarks.:cool:
It's fine as I am SURE you do, I was just considering the source.
Hell look at prehistoric inverts and check out the sizes of some of the monsters there.
Not every spider had sclerites to help support a large abdomen so it is possible
not probable but possible.
Every one was lambasting the guy saying he was a druggie ect. ect. ect.
like I said what if:?

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
None of the large fossil arachnids were aerial web inhabitants, especially not the Therediidae model of hanging upside-down. It's just impossible to have one that large. He was describing a small population full of extra large individuals...it's incredibly unlikely that there would be any barrier to gene flow in and around his house that would produce that effect even if that kind of size was obtainable....that, coupled with the fact that he dosen't know what an 'Invert' is kind of destroys all shred of credibility. Possible Utah subspeices? Please! The idea of subspecies has been completely destroyed from the insects/spiders/(and surprisingly birds) for a long time...anyone who claims to have that kind of edjucation and postion should know that.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
5-6cm and 2-in widows are nice pics. i've got 4-5cm l-s BW. these are very big latros, but the point remains, they don't get anywhere close to 4"!!! let alone 5-6in with a golf-ball sized ab. biggest i've EVER seen was 2in l-s max, with an abdomen about the size of a marble. they don't get much bigger than that. just my 2cents...

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Hesperus for sure. There was an enormous female that lived in my attic's ventilation.. For like.. 6-7 years.. Man that thing was huge. Her abdomen itself had to be pushing 1.5"

She had learned to build webs underneath paper wasp nests, and just waited for larvae to lose their grip and fall.