Largest Grammostola sp?

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey guy's
I've recently been reading alot of conflicting information regarding the largest species of Grammostola. Most keepers believe G pulchripes is the largest but I've also read and been told that G iheringi and actaeon both match it in terms of dls. my G iheringi is around 6.5" maybe slightly larger, my actaeon grows like a weed and from a 2cm sling last year it's already over 3".
Today i typed "largest Grammostola species" into google and the results left me even more confused (i know google isn't that reliable) the list was full of the usual suspects T blondi, Lp, H gigas etc but sat at number 4 on the list was Grammostola anthracina (formerly molicoma) and more amusingly (Avicularia anthracina) i couldn't imagine this tank climbing trees ala Avic. Anyway i was wondering if anybody had a truer picture of dls as it will take a while for my 4 to mature

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I´ve read somewhere that it might be G. iheringi , but both these species has a decent size.
See this is the problem with the info available. Like I said earlier G anthracina is apparently in the 10 largest and it's the only grammy in the list

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I have been looking for G. anthracina for years. I missed out when I saw one years back when was mollicoma. It had a purple hue on the carapace with red/rose hairs on the ventral side. It was a large female at a rough guess I would say easily 7.5". I haven't seen one since unfortunately :(

I still believe pulchripes and iheringi are the largest.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have been looking for G. anthracina for years. I missed out when I saw one years back when was mollicoma. It had a purple hue on the carapace with red/rose hairs on the ventral side. It was a large female at a rough guess I would say easily 7.5". I haven't seen one since unfortunately :(

I still believe pulchripes and iheringi are the largest.
I've got a beautiful 3-3.5" juvenile and they are extremely beautiful in the flesh but with the right lighting you can sort of get the full colouration in a photo here's my little un not quite perfect light but oh well

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would say G. Pulchripes.
G. iheringi is larger. I've read that G. iheringi is the largest of the genus; I'm pretty sure I read that in a scientific journal, but I could be wrong! I won't know yet until mine reaches adult size as it's only 5". A very reputable breeder told me a male they owned, reached 8".

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Compromise: iheringi in span, pulchripes in bulkiness?
Definitely true when comparing the two.

Yes, iheringi is slightly more leg, less body in that respect
True. iheringi is built not too different than a GBB, only slightly thicker from visual inspection. Def it's the least Grammo looking of the genus that I'm aware of.