Largest Desert Dweller?

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello everyone,

Perhaps this is a very general and novice question, but I was just curious what the largest desert dwelling Tarantula is?
I know some of the Grammostola's from the Atacama grow pretty hefty, but I was curious if any of the Aphonopelma's or Brachy's got bigger. Perhaps there are some big old world terrestrials that aren't very moisture dependent in terms of environmental humidity.

Thanks for the input guys.

Last edited:

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
While they aren't full on Desert - the C. crawshayi is pretty big :)
they are said to live in Kenia, Tanzania, Uganda so I'm going from pics.. but those places seem closer to desert than not.

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Uh, I doubt it, The King Baboon is a deep burrower and loves a good amount of humidity.
I'm thinking along the lines of terrestrial spiders from the Atacama desert in Chile, such as G. Rosea, etc. Perhaps theres a species in Asia that lives on the outskirts of the Gobi (though the temperature gradients and fluctuations are probably a little extreme). Etc.

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yea, if only I could find a nice Selenotypus here at a petstore. Whenever they have them they cost an arm and a leg. I love Aussie T's.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
correct me if im wrong but i dont think many tarantula species actually live in a true "desert".more or so they inhabit scrubland areas or forests surrounding deserts.i imagine some of the largest of the dryer species are probaly in africa or australia tho.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yea, if only I could find a nice Selenotypus here at a petstore. Whenever they have them they cost an arm and a leg. I love Aussie T's.
expect some new australian t's coming into the us soon ;)

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
This species can top 20cm and is a true arid zone spider...........Selenotypus plumipes POCOCK 1895:

Cheers,
Steve