Largest cheap, visible species

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Even more q's at the bottom - sorry

I'm planning on getting a centipede, and size is definitely a/the major issue. (Don't think it crude; I think all the species are beautiful.) So I'd like to know the biggest (or the few biggest, ranked, if possible?) species that meet two requirements - Less than $30, and I can expect to be able to see it fairly often - why would someone want a pede that stays underground the whole time? :?

If $30 seems low to you, at the herp store near me that I love (LLLReptile), they have S. subspinipes for $15.
If subspinipes seems like the best choice given what I said above, that would be perfect; I wouldn't have to order it online.
Also, LLL lists them as being 7" to 11"... but most websites I've seen say 7" to 8" - is 11" unreasonable?

Also also, is it correct that having a tall cage is only necessary for preventing escapes, not because centipedes need to climb?

and if S. subspinipes is not the largest cheap one, can anyone refer me to a good website for purchasing pedes?

Thanks!

Last edited:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm planning on getting a centipede, and size is definitely a/the major issue. (Don't think it crude; I think all the species are beautiful.) So I'd like to know the biggest (or the few biggest, ranked, if possible?) species that meet two requirements - Less than $30, and I can expect to be able to see it fairly often - why would someone want a pede that stays underground the whole time? :?

If $30 seems low to you, at the herp store near me that I love (LLLReptile), they have S. subspinipes for $15.
If subspinipes seems like the best choice given what I said above, that would be perfect; I wouldn't have to order it online.
Also, LLL lists them as being 7" to 11"... but most websites I've seen say 7" to 8" - is 11" unreasonable?

Also also, is it correct that having a tall cage is only necessary for preventing escapes, not because centipedes need to climb?

and if S. subspinipes is not the largest cheap one, can anyone refer me to a good website for purchasing pedes?

Thanks!
there is no single species that consistantly is visible all the time, unless you prevent it from hiding.

that said, subspinipes is easily your best bet. anything else is either going to be small adult size or you will be buying a baby of, for that price range

the size thing... it depends on how they measure. they sort of hobby standard (and lit standard in everything "rea" that i have read) is to measure body length... so not counting back legs or antenna. in that case 7-8" is a good size adult. 11" is possible but VERY rare.

if you are not super time concious you could try to wait to find a Scolopendra heros castaniceps for $30. they get pretty big. if a local board member catches some you stand a chance of being able to pick up a ~3-5" for $30, but that is not super likely and any deal like that would be snapped up pretty quickly.

oh yeah, and the cage height thing *is*only about preventing escapes. i totally ignore it now. in fact, i have a 4-5" subspinipes that is doing quite well (and has been for like a year or something) in a honest-to-dog sandwich tupperware (4"x4" by ~1.5" high)

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Get yourself a subspinipes but dont expect to display itself a lot.

phil.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
oh yeah. i have a half ass theory that the lower the ventilation in the cage the better your chances of the pede just hanging out visibly. of course, in a brightly lit room they still might not want to show themselves

the point is that you might be able to change cage characteristics to manipulate visibility.

... someone REALLY needs to make a good clear substrate. heh.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Galapoheros had a SHC that was over 9" i think lol
but yeah i think SHC is as good looking a pede as there is and they get pretty big, i have seen them that i know are over 9" and closer to 12" but never caught one that size for assorted reasons... i am sure one of them wouldnt bother caco lol
if you want an SHC i will keep an eye out for you one.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
oh yeah. i have a half ass theory that the lower the ventilation in the cage the better your chances of the pede just hanging out visibly. of course, in a brightly lit room they still might not want to show themselves

the point is that you might be able to change cage characteristics to manipulate visibility.

... someone REALLY needs to make a good clear substrate. heh.
I think your right Caco. Someone in the scorpion section mentioned the same thing. The stillness of the air and the higher humidity might simulate conditions where they would be if they were under an object or in the ground. Just a theory but makes sense. I keep most of mine basically like you do and see about 6 out of 7 of them sit on top.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great, thanks!

A few more questions-
There are lots and lots of S. heros for sale on these forums, but they're all for 3" to 6" specimens. How long does it take for them to grow up? (I guess I'd like to know for gigantea and subspinipes too)

and I think I know the answer to this one, but I'll ask it anyway - I know you can change their girth by feeding them more or less... but there's no way to make them grow longer faster, right?

Is there any difference among S. heros heros, S. heros castaneiceps, and S. heros arizonensis other than coloration?

thanks again.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Great, thanks!

A few more questions-
There are lots and lots of S. heros for sale on these forums, but they're all for 3" to 6" specimens. How long does it take for them to grow up? (I guess I'd like to know for gigantea and subspinipes too)

and I think I know the answer to this one, but I'll ask it anyway - I know you can change their girth by feeding them more or less... but there's no way to make them grow longer faster, right?

Is there any difference among S. heros heros, S. heros castaneiceps, and S. heros arizonensis other than coloration?

thanks again.
coloration is about it lol as far as gettig length on them faster i think just a little extra warmth will do it , but keep in mind faster growth = faster death to a certian degree anyway. i dont think they are THAT slow growing anyway. and a 6 inch one in captivity isnt too shabby

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is 80 F too hot? (That's about as hot as it gets, I'm in southern california)

And how fast is "not THAT slow growing"? :eek: I can't find pede growth rates anywhere...

Is a 7" high x 8" wide x 13" long cage an adequate size for an adult subspinipes or heros?

And can they chew through a screen lid? (if so, do you know of any way to strengthen it w/o buying a new cage altogether?)

thanks again

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

And how fast is "not THAT slow growing"? :eek: I can't find pede growth rates anywhere...

Is a 7" high x 8" wide x 13" long cage an adequate size for an adult subspinipes or heros?

And can they chew through a screen lid? (if so, do you know of any way to strengthen it w/o buying a new cage altogether?)

thanks again
well it will do. depending on what you want. if you want a nice display i would use a 10 gallon wiht a sliding screen top. Can they chew thruough , probably , never had one do it tho. Galapoheros or caco can answer that one. i keep mine about 70-80 Room temp . they can get by at warmer temps and lower temps i assume since they live where it gets over 100 in summer and below 32 in winter regularly.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Great, thanks!

A few more questions-

thanks again.
ooh, it's almost going to be something like an inch a year for S. heros when they are in the 4-5". then it probably gets slower. not 100% sure on that, gala could probably make a better guestimate. i expect subspinipes and gigantea (which you are basically learning about for fun only, for all the chance of getting one (me too, btw)) could grow a little faster as they come from tropical places. maybe. i think gala has had S. heros c. plings grow to ~4" in a year-ish

thanks again
how quick are you, manual dexterity visual reaction type of things? i keep a 4-5" subspinipes in a sandwich container(~4"x4"x1.75")... but i am pretty quick for bug stuff... and not exactly going to be heartbroken if i do get tagged in the line of duty.

they can chew through thin gauge wire lids. but it seems like they need someplace to get started... an imperfection or something. a little tear that they can work a fang into. i personally prefer the "big ass jar" method of containment. i have a lot of gallon, 3, 2, 1 quart plastic screwtop jars. excellent humidity AND centipede retention. heh, i'm going to make that a slogan.

well it will do. depending on what you want. if you want a nice display i would use a 10 gallon wiht a sliding screen top. Can they chew thruough , probably , never had one do it tho. Galapoheros or caco can answer that one. i keep mine about 70-80 Room temp . they can get by at warmer temps and lower temps i assume since they live where it gets over 100 in summer and below 32 in winter regularly.
warmer temps plus inadequate humidty/hydration equals death for centipedes... but i had all mine live through the 100*F summer temps i had in my apartment. i was VERY scared and didn't have any adult wild caught subspinipes at the time. i half way suspect they are more sensitive to higher temps that a lot of the other african or traditional american south west pedes

i actually think basic room temps are the highest that is absolutely safe for pedes. i kind of think some species would actual do better at lower temps. i had no deaths this winter when my room got down to 48-50*F at night.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
heros v. dehaani

Thanks for enduring all my threads & pm's; they've helped a lot. I promise I'm almost done deciding, just want a few opinions on specific things.

I just need to decide my first/second choice... it's between S. heros (any subspecies) and S. subspinipes dehaani. It sounds like

heros
-visible more often
-prettier

dehaani
-more exciting
-larger

So can you tell me that's wrong, or to what extent those are true? (How much more visible the heros is, How much larger the dehaani gets, etc.) I know these don't have cut-and-dried answers, but I need opinions. I also know I've already gotten some... but humor me here. I'm a little compulsive.

thank you SO. FAQING. MUCH.:worship:

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
lol well i dont think that theres a differance in size personally, if you get both full grown. actually tho each bug will be diffearant than the others.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:wall: :wall: :wall:
rrrrrrrrgh.
I'll spare you the details, but I can't get a subspinipes.
So now my choice has been made for me. (How lucky!)
Now just wait until you have to help me take care of a heros. {D