Larger species

Sesame Sam

Arachnosquire
Hi guys.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any larger species (with rough sizes if possible)

I know of Theraphosa blondi, Theraphosa apophysis and Lasiodora parahybana.

Are there any others? maybe some old world species?

Thanks in advanced

sam

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well those are the top three largest. What else are you looking for? Just large Ts?

spiderslight

Arachnopeon
I guess it all depends on if you are taking big and bulky or if you just want something long. Because there is always the P. Ornata they have a good legspan probably somewhere around 7+ inches.

Sesame Sam

Arachnosquire
I am actually writing a piece and got stumped on what could be classed as giant tarantulas. T.blondi and the other three are generally classed as the giants, but I haven't really heard of old world giants.

I would class 7inches as rather large but its just not quite the same as the others :8o

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
pamphobeteus can reach around 8-9" any lasiodora will be pretty large, acanthoscurria, nhandu, phormictopus for your new worlds besides theraphosa.

old world you might look at lampropelma, cyriopagopus and a couple pokies get pretty large too and of course, the classic king baboon(which should be the "queen" babooon;) and whose new name i can't recall off the top of my head)

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I guess it all depends on if you are taking big and bulky or if you just want something long. Because there is always the P. Ornata they have a good legspan probably somewhere around 7+ inches.
...Try 10"

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Why i wrote 7+ Low end is around 7
Ahh...I see.
FWIW I think a female P. ornata can reliably be expected to pass 8 to 8.5" at least.

A full grown 7" female would be an anomaly. I'm not saying it's never happened, but much too rare
to call 7" the low end. IMHO that is.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Another big nw is genus Xenesthis. Females are nicely patterned/colored too.

Some other ow are Pelinobius muticus, Lampropelma spp, and some of the big brown australian t's :)

LV-426

Arachnobaron
Phliogius sp. the aussie Ts seem very interesting.The liturature says they get up to 8''

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
7" full grown female Ornata??? Try more around 9"-10"... They are QUITE leggy ladies! Very possibly mid to high 8's but definatly not a 7". Theraphosa Spinipes (Burgandy) is also around the same size as the T. Blondi. Wonder why nobody mentioned that one. Not too sure on exactly how big a rosea can get, but I've seen some BIG ladies in that department as well ;)