Larger H. Arizonensis Vivarium Build

RMJ

Arachnosquire
Larger H. Arizonensis Vivarium Build

As some of you may already know I like my naturalistic vivariums and have several for my invert collection. One of the vivs is my H. Arizonensis setup - pictured below

d.h.JPG IMG_3703.JPG IMG_3704.JPG IMG_3705.JPG IMG_3706.JPG IMG_3708.JPG IMG_3709.JPG

The setup has proven to be a success in regards to succulents growing, temperature fluctuations, lighting and of course decent substrate/clay mix for burrowing behaviors :).

I am now building a larger version of the tank (60cm L x 40cm W x 41cm D) so that there is lots more floor space and 5-6 times more depth for burrowing. I am looking and have been looking at molting threads over time and think that this would be an ideal opportunity for me to try and simulate a gradient of humidity in the substrate. This will hopefully provide the scorpion with what it needs for a successful molt and behave in the most 'natural way' as possible :).

I find they're behaviors fascinating and firmly believe my male Haddy is ready for a molt! it would be great for him to survive this as I believe he has more growing to do and I wouldn't want to loose such an interesting chap!.

In regards to decor/heating & lighting the set up will be very similar, just with some improvements!, 1 wall background, 10"+ of substrate with false floor, some succulents planted in the substrate, 35/50w halogen for basking (on a dimming stat), 9W SMD LED bulb on a timer to simulate daylight hours & provide light for plants, external canopy unit with black light for night viewing.

Please comment with any suggestions/changes/ideas/flaming you may have on this! I am very interested to hear peoples thoughts and of course their advise on setting up such a Vivarium :).

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
That is an awesome display. I love the natural look too. I'd be very interested in learning more about your humidity gradient idea. I would have thought humidity would pretty much permeate the tank throughout. Also, I'd like to hear more about the false floor, what the purpose is, how it will be accomplished, etc. I've made false bottoms for humidity loving species but I've never thought about one for an arid/desert species. It sounds like you've got a plan together, I'd be very interested in seeing the finished product. Do you have any plans to house something in this tank when you're done or are you going to redesign it? This is a species that I would love to get ahold of but for some reason, I never have. Maybe soon... Maybe soon

RMJ

Arachnosquire
That is an awesome display. I love the natural look too. I'd be very interested in learning more about your humidity gradient idea. I would have thought humidity would pretty much permeate the tank throughout. Also, I'd like to hear more about the false floor, what the purpose is, how it will be accomplished, etc. I've made false bottoms for humidity loving species but I've never thought about one for an arid/desert species. It sounds like you've got a plan together, I'd be very interested in seeing the finished product. Do you have any plans to house something in this tank when you're done or are you going to redesign it? This is a species that I would love to get a hold of but for some reason, I never have. Maybe soon... Maybe soon
Thank you :) I will re-create but on a larger scale as I really like it too. In regards to the humidity permeating, I agree it will but I believe it will but not entirely. I plan on having a section about 30% of the base to hold the false floor structure (fine crate with stone/pebbles held in & a filler tube reaching above the substrate level, this way the humidity source will be a fixed area that the scorpions can 'sense' and burrow towards as much as they wish without destroying it and releasing the stones etc.

The tank will be built and back at home in the next 2 weeks, I will then have a number of weeks drying out layers of substrate etc after placing it in with decor etc. I plan to house 2 H. Arizonensis in there, I have currently a male and a female that would be ideal, they're a great species! you must get some your closer to where they originate from than me so no excuses! :D

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I hope you post pics of everything when you're done. I would love to see the final product. In fact, I would love to see a step by step! It sounds like your breeding program is set for success and I wish you all the best.

RMJ

Arachnosquire
@Python Thank you again :) I will be documenting the build here once the glass has been put together and the background sorted. 2-3 weeks from now there will be pictures etc etc

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow, that is really amazing! I love the way it looks - and I'm sure your scorpions are more comfortable than they would be in the smaller "no frills" setups that most of us keep them in. I wish I had the space to do something like this!

georgie_81

Arachnopeon
Hey amazing set up - Can I ask you a question regarding heating? I currently have a tank set up drying (photos attached) which is an Exo Terra 45x45x45 glass vivarium and have always used a heat mat for my H.Arisonensis "Beryl". I am thinking of switching to a light heat source, which I have heard is better for Desert Hairy's, but also want the heater to be a source of light in the day time. I have read that heating lights should be switched off at night to replicate the drop in temperature in the desert so was wondering should I also keep my heat mat on during the night or not use the heat mat at all?

Alternatively, is the heat mat enough for such a big vivarium without the light?

Anyone who is able to offer advice I'd be grateful.

Cheers
George

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm really digging these setups. I have recently taken the plunge and I now have a D.H. of my very own. I can't imagine why I never got one before. These things are awesome. Right now it's living in a stearlite container until the sand/clay mix dries in the 10 gallon that will eventually become it's home. As soon as the substrate dries I'll be doing some landscaping. I'm getting a few ideas from this thread and I can't wait for this tank to dry out so I can get started.

RMJ

Arachnosquire
I'd be interested in buying it depending on price and shipping. lol
@ScorpionObsession Send me a PM with your address details and I can try and get a quote for you :)

Hi @georgie_81 Thank you!, Great setup you have put together!, I wouldn't worry about having a heat mat. I would use a light or ceramic bulb for a heat source. This way it is more natural having the heat from above and giving the scorpion a basking spot for the molting process. What temperature does the room get to at night? These Haddy's are pretty damn tough and can deal with some low temps at night! so generally I wouldn't be worried about heat at night at all, I don't.

@Python Good!!! This makes me happy! They are amazing creatures, so fascinating with their behaviors!. You should post up some pics of what you have, id love to see it. Be patient with it drying but dont worry too much if the lowest layer still has moisture, the earth does ;).

georgie_81

Arachnopeon
@RJM Thanks for the advice, would you go for infrared or ceramic? Or does it not matter?

RMJ

Arachnosquire
@RJM Thanks for the advice, would you go for infrared or ceramic? Or does it not matter?
No worries :) I personally use a halogen bulb but have use IR too before, doesn't really matter :) just try and put it on one side so it gives a basking spot.

Greenjewls

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great thread, I like what you guys are doing! a few thoughts and you can take this with as many grains of salt as you like lol. The OP - looks like your scorpion is an adult and i don't expect it will molt again. Though it appears very well-fed, this is a "feast and famine" species that commonly gorges on another adult Hairy Scorpion in the wild and then retires to the safety of a burrow blocking the entrance for several months to avoid predators. However, achieving a nice moisture gradient in deeper substrate would be beneficial to any Hadrurus including adults. It is only natural. In the wild they live near washes that saturate with each rain, and they may burrow 10' deep to attain a gradient. The difficulties with molting are still a mystery, i suspect it involves more than just humidity and temp, possibly. OK also let me say please use a water dish (doesn't have to be full all the time) because these do drink and appreciate standing water as you can see in my advanced care video. I fear that most people keep these in xeric conditions that are harmfully dry but the truth is Hairys avoid super dry conditions and tend to venture out when humidity is over 25% on the surface. Heat emitters and heat pads are probably the best option (to achieve temp gradient of 80f-90f) but they can also really dry out the habitat (if it is well ventilated). I pour water into a corner frequently as the heating constantly dries the substrate. Use death feigning beetles to clean up so the cricket parts don't mold in the chamber of the moist corner (also in my care video). Hope this helps!

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
That's awesome!!!! I've been posting in other threads how I wanted to mimic this similar setup