Larger centipede with weaker venom

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Exactly what the title implies. I'm thinking of S. polymorpha and alipipes, but am I missing any other species?

hecklad

Arachnosquire
I've heard that gigantea's venom is pretty weak compared to most 6"+ sp, although they're also very expensive.

Just curious though, why are you worried about venom potency?

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
I’m extremely paranoid about any of my pets escaping(I spend like 15 minutes every night making sure that all the lids are tight even for my scorpions and roaches which can’t even climb smooth surfaces) and I’d hate that in the case that if the pede were to escape, it could do some serious damage to another family member. Also because I get really nervous working around animals with more potency.

hecklad

Arachnosquire
That's fair reasoning. With that in mind A. grandidieri would probably be the best choice for you. They're also capable of being kept communally I think

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Lots of other species you can choose from but polymorpha are basically a perfect choice anyway

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
The SA Giants supposedly have weak venom, although they are NOT cheap. S. polymorpha, E. trigonopodus, and Alipes sp. are good choices as well.

And also, while I’m not going to hold this against you, as long as you are attentive during maintenance and have it kept in an escape proof enclosure, there is no need to worry about it escaping :)

vyadha

Arachnosquire
Cingulata are worth looking into. Similar to Polymorpha and in my experience more mellow.

NYAN

Arachnoking
I'm thinking of S. polymorpha and alipipes, but am I missing any other species?

Most people do not consider any of these large. What do you consider large exactly? What isn’t your price range? What do you consider potent also?

Anyway, Alipes do poorly in captivity, so I wouldn’t recommend them. Polymorpha are good but they don’t get big unless you’re getting a Texas or maybe New Mexico locality.

I would recommend Ethmostigmus trigonopodus but I am not sure on the availability currently. They were very common earlier this year but I think imports stopped. Heros are also pretty good. Viridis grow smaller than polymorpha but are good beginner species. Rysida are also pretty good.

If you want something that most people consider big, you can go with one of the SA giant species. They are pricy, but easy to care for and have weaker venom. The only thing is that they can inject large quantities making a bite very painful.

Less common species that are good are Scolopendra angulata, Scolopendra morsitans, and Scolopendra cingulata, and Scolopendra longipes.

The SA Giants supposedly have weak venom,
I've heard that gigantea's venom is pretty weak compared to most 6"+ sp,
You need to consider quantity of venom injected rather than what people think the potency may be. Sure they seem to have weaker venom, but with a large quantity injected, it will hurt a lot. I can personally attest that a giant can deliver a bite on par with the most potent Asian species.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
I would say something that’s around 4”+ and isn’t over $90. Also, why do alipes not do well in captivity? And I’ve seen some pedes labelled “african giant” or “african tiger giant”; what sp are these most likely? I really want one of the more monstrous species like galapagoensis or hainanum but the price and pain from the venom turns me down.

hecklad

Arachnosquire
Edit: I didn't realize I made the comment twice, my phone has been lagging. Also I guess I need to shut up lmao, I'm not as caught up on pedes as I thought I was

Last edited:

hecklad

Arachnosquire
I would say something that’s around 4”+ and isn’t over $90. Also, why do alipes not do well in captivity? And I’ve seen some pedes labelled “african giant” or “african tiger giant”; what sp are these most likely? I really want one of the more monstrous species like galapagoensis or hainanum but the price and pain from the venom turns me down.
Haven't heard of alipes consistantly doing poorly, although maybe I'm out of the loop. Also I think S morsitans is the most common African species available and I've seen them labelled as "african tigers" at expos before

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Interesting, I was told that true mortisans was extremely rare, but how's the venom on them?

NYAN

Arachnoking
I would say something that’s around 4”+ and isn’t over $90.
Buy a polymorpha or Ethmostigmus trigonopodus then.

Also, why do alipes not do well in captivity?
I’m not sure why, but they just don’t. I’d guess that it’s because they are fragile and come in as WC adults. No real idea though.

And I’ve seen some pedes labelled “african giant” or “african tiger giant”; what sp are these most likely?
Those are Ethmostigmus trigonopodus

I think S morsitans is the most common African species
Nope. African morsitans are very rare.

but how's the venom on them?
I’d say mid level. Ive been bitten by Scolopendra antananarivoensis which is a closely related species.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
I think I'll go for polymorpha or maybe alipes then. I've heard that care for the latter is relatively simple, but they always gave me the impression that they were somewhat fragile.