- Nov 21, 2009
Hello all, Well, I walked into the t room yesterday evening at 10:50 and looked into the Theraphosa sp. enclosure. Initially, I was elated to see that it appeared to have molted. However, my happiness quickly turned to horror when I noticed that leg 1, 2, and 3 on the t's left side were still stuck and had only slightly emerged . Even that wasn't so bad at first until I noticed HAEMOLYPH HAD CONGEALED AND WAS BEGINNING TO DRY IN FAIRLY LARGE LUMPS at the base of each leg. In addition, those legs were pinned under the body at an unnatural angle. The t was completely upside down and the 3 left legs were under it pointing toward the right side. The t was still moving, although barely. I figured it knew what was going on better than I so I left it alone. The fangs were aready turning pink. All other parts had made it out of the molt and appeared sleek and healthy. I checked on it every 15 minutes for 3 hours in which it made no progress. I then, very slowly and carefully lifted the left side of the t slightly with a wide, soft piece of cloth and moved the legs out from under it and left it alone. It is still barely moving occasionally but it does not look good. I tried carefully snipping the old skin away but it is very hard to do without pulling on the fresh, soft leg so I stopped. This is terrible!