Large tarantula parasite?

Le Wasp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've had a mature female G. rosea for several years now and she's developed quite a large mound on her abdomen. When it first started, I thought she maybe had an injury that was healing strangely. But it kept growing, and now it is nearly half the size of her abdomen. She's been acting strangely and has stopped accepting food. Recently, the mound has been accelerating its growth.

From my searches, it looks like this might be a type of parasitic fly larvae in the family Acroceridae. It also appears that no one has successfully raised the fly to adulthood from inside a tarantula to allow for a good ID. Other reports talk about a maggot emerging, but I haven't found a report on a successful pupation.

If this is indeed a parasitic fly, my T is pretty much doomed at this point. Since this is a fairly rare event, I'd like to allow the fly to pupate so I can identify it. Does anyone have advice for getting the parasite to reach maturity?

Last edited:

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
It could be an internal bleed. I don't know anything about these flies, but I do know that it may be possible to try and drain that area. I am sure someone with more "T issue" experience will come along. Good luck.

--Dan

0siris

Arachnosquire
I'm kind of new to the tarantula world so take my opinion as you will, but if that was a parasite wouldn't it be growing (and subsequently feeding) on or very near to the tarantulas heart? If that was the case I think your T would be dead by now.

Hopefully it's something curable. I'm interested to hear what others have to say.

Best of luck to you.

Le Wasp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you've had it for several years, then it's not a parasite.

Hernia, cyst, whatever you want to call it. Something of that nature, most likely.
I've read that some of the acrocerids can survive inside the tarantulas through several molts. Hopefully it's some kind of tarantula hernia though and she'll be able to molt out of it. Sorry to hear about your B. boehmei.

Thanks for the links; It looks like the acrocerid uses the silk from the molt mat for pupation. http://scabies.myfreeforum.org/viewcardtopic.php?t=352&view=previous