Large plastic jars - Stupid labels

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've got some large plastic jars I plan on using for my Avicularias. Only problem is, I can't get the stupid labels off. When I peel them, the labels come apart and there is glue residue on the plastic.
Does anyone know how to cleanly remove this without damaging the container.
Thanks very much!
Ralph

LunarFaery

ArachnoDiva
Old Timer
finger nail polish remover works and so does lighter fluid to remove sticker residue.

Jen

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You can buy Goo B Gone from the Home Depot, it works great. I am assuming that the label is on the outside of contianer? I would still use a bit of caution with chemicals and tarantulas.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I don't know about the nail polish remover, but GooGone, which is a duct tape of its own, is a big no-no with most plastics. If it doesn't just out and out dissolve the jar, it often clouds it permanently.

Whatever you use, test it before going to town with it.

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
soak it...

Fill it with water so that it doesn't float and soak it in the sink overnight. Usually makes em rub right off. Hot water works best but even cold works if you leave it in a while.

Phil

Deathreaver

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Use a Hair Dryer, works on stickers, Lables, tape, and x-mas presents.......

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Elmers adhevive remover.
Scotts adhevive remover.
:)
Both work well.
One can be found around school supplies.
The other in an automoive store that sells paint supplies.
:)
Both work great just Clean it Off and Hot hot soapy water.

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
in my experience in drinking hard alcohol, i know its glass bottles, i keep it in the freezer, then in the process of drinking it the glass sweats and you can usually pull the paper label right off, i have a large label collection so i do have xperience..lol.. anyway i dont know if that will help or not just thought i would put my two cents in. Time for more Jagermeister...he he he.

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Wow!, so many tricks.
My wife, Windie, has mastered the art of removing those unsightly and stubborn labels. She soaks the label with veggie oil overnight. Then washes with warm water and dish soap in the morn.
john

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This is probably just a variation of John's suggestion, but I've used non-stick cooking sprays like Pam to remove lables. It's essensially just vegetable oil, but it's also mixed with alchol to help it spray. The combo is effective on many lable adhesives. First, I peel off as much of the lable as I can. The outer, shiny part of the lable has some repelling properties, so the more you can get off the better the Pam can soak in and do it's stuff. Then I spray on a thick coat and let it sit for half an hour or so. At this point, if you're lucky, you may be able to peel the remainder of the lable off. Apparently, many different types of adhesive are used, so it's not always effective. Sometimes after the Pam treatment all they need is a little scrubbing with soap and water, which you'll need anyway to get the oil off.

Wade

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
RE: Lighter fluid

Zippo fluid always worked for me. Butane fluid does not, however.. And if you're a smoker.. don't smoke while you do that... not that I ever had a problem with that or anything.

Bill

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
(Has vision of Bill sitting with heat warped plastic jar and no eyebrows)

Thanks for the visual!

(Giggles madly)

=D :D =D

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Whats with all the chemicals?
Hot soapy water will do just fine:)
If your in a hurry, use the veggie oil.
Most of the other things will eat the plastic!:(:eek:

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Neither of the products I listed eat the plastic.
I use them all the time.
I Do have to correct a product Name though.
It's called Elmer's Sticky Out.
Getting lables off glass is a cake walk.
But Some, not all but Some lables on plastic are a pure nightmare.
Soap, water and oil will get the paper to come off but the crap they use as an adhesive isn't water solable.
It just beads water, oil doesn't dent it, so you have a sticky patch that picks up dust and turns into a Fuzzy stick patch.
The sticky out Does the job well, a little bit goes a Long way.
It has a nice citris scent so it won't gag you while you use it and washes off clean in hot soapy water.
It doesn't hurt plastic and leans the container nice and clear.

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
I Do have to correct a product Name though.
It's called Elmer's Sticky Out.............

Thought that's what you meant, wasn't sure:)

Plastic is a pain to clean without any damage:p

I found some containers made by Rubbermaid at my local
Walmart, they were $2~$3 The label comes right off like magic.
I posted a picture of one made up for a T here on the forum.
(sorry too lazy to get the url)

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
I don't know about the nail polish remover, but GooGone, which is a duct tape of its own, is a big no-no with most plastics. If it doesn't just out and out dissolve the jar, it often clouds it permanently.

Whatever you use, test it before going to town with it.
I never knew that. I've used it on other things before but not clear plastic. Thanks for the warning...

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Still ROFLOL thinking of Bill with his bangs on fire and no eyebrows.=D

Try to peel them off s-l-o-w-l-y, often I can gt the whole label with that method. If not, everyone else has the best suggestions for the residue!

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
No one has used my old favorite................I use WD40 if hot water does not do the trick. I learned this trick in the late 70's working for a car dealer removing old bumper stickers. Alot more hippies back then I guess!!!!

Bob