Large New World Terrestrial Species?

octoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi, I'm doing some research for one of my next tarantulas. I am really interested in getting a terrestrial new world that grows to a fairly large size and has pretty good coloration. Any suggestions? Any of you that own a species like I am describing have any opinions for me? Thanks. X)

I'm aware of a lot of them, but I just want to make sure I'm not leaving out some wonderfully large and beautiful species I would love to own. x-x

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Grammastola (aureostriata)
Lasiodara
Megaphobema
Pamphobeteous
Phormictopus
Theraphosa
Xenesthis

To name some:)

-Sean

octoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Haha wow thanks a lot for the list! :clap:

I'll be sure to look more into all of them.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
a. geniculata - very beautiful and grows huge. also l. klugi - if you're looking for colour i wouldn't recommend parahybana. certainly xenesthis - but i don't really like how fragile they look, even though they get huge they have thin legs. guess i'm one for bulky terrestrials ;).

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
sorry, i forgot: all megaphobema look stunning, but they are obligate burrowers ime. you will not see much of this t.

octoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks. x)

And yeah me too. I like geniculatas, but my friend has one, and we're trying not to get the same species. I'll definitely be looking into the xenesthis and klugi.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Heres some more that fit your demands..

Acanthoscurria spp.
Nhandu spp.
Sericopelma spp.

octoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks a lot Novak. :)

Wow, you guys are very quick and helpful. X)

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Get a A. Geniculata.....Mine is one of the best looking ones in my collection, and it's not even fully grown yet....I can just imagine when it gets 8". What a cool species...

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The L. Klugi is the record holder for the largest T ! ( watch all the T. Blondi fans FREAK out ) The Klugi's are also very pretty.

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I thought L. klugi held the record for heaviest T, then a blondi was found that weighed more.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Haha, ya pretty much. I'm another T.blondi fan that didn't freak out.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OMG TBLONDI IS SO MUCH BIGGER AHHH.

Im just messing around. I dont know much about the record holding T's I just heard T Blondi. Beyond that I just know that there is a record and some T holds it!

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nope ! Klugi's have a larger leg span.

I'm not talking about weight
I've never heard of this? Can you provide some kind of document or research paper to prove it? I'm not doubting you or anything, I've just never heard it. Last I remember Theraphosa spp. held the largest legspan record.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've never heard of this? Can you provide some kind of document or research paper to prove it? I'm not doubting you or anything, I've just never heard it. Last I remember Theraphosa spp. held the largest legspan record.
I read it somewhere, and I'm too tired to look it up : A quick google coughed this up. It half defends my statement :

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Theraphosa apophysis tarantula (Pinkfoot goliath) was described 187 years after the Goliath birdeater; therefore its characteristics are not as well attested. However, legspans of up to 33 cm (13 inches) have been reported for that species. T. blondi is generally thought to be the heaviest tarantula, and T. apophysis the largest legspan. Two other species, Lasiodora parahybana and Lasiodora klugi, or (Brazilian Salmon Birdeater) gets very large and rivals the size of both Theraphosa blondi and Theraphosa apophysis, and some have even made claims to same size and even bigger sizes than the two Theraphosa species

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I read it somewhere, and I'm too tired to look it up : A quick google coughed this up. It half defends my statement :

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Theraphosa apophysis tarantula (Pinkfoot goliath) was described 187 years after the Goliath birdeater; therefore its characteristics are not as well attested. However, legspans of up to 33 cm (13 inches) have been reported for that species. T. blondi is generally thought to be the heaviest tarantula, and T. apophysis the largest legspan. Two other species, Lasiodora parahybana and Lasiodora klugi, or (Brazilian Salmon Birdeater) gets very large and rivals the size of both Theraphosa blondi and Theraphosa apophysis, and some have even made claims to same size and even bigger sizes than the two Theraphosa species
You could possibly be right, but the thing is there are recorded sizes for the Theraphosa spp. but none of the supposably giant Lasiodora spp. Until I see a proven document with a proven size, I will continue to believe that Theraphosa holds the record. I also, don't really trust Wikipedia.