Large Invert Legal in TX?

TheGrooveDuke

Arachnopeon
I was disheartened to find that exotic beetles are illegal in my country, but I still want to try keeping an invertebrate even if it can't be a rainbow stag. I was interested in the dynastes tityus but it apparently only lives for a few months in its adult form. What kinds of critters do y'all recommend?

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I was disheartened to find that exotic beetles are illegal in my country, but I still want to try keeping an invertebrate even if it can't be a rainbow stag. I was interested in the dynastes tityus but it apparently only lives for a few months in its adult form. What kinds of critters do y'all recommend?
Story of my life. Every time I see videos of giant stag or rhino beetles from other countries that I can't have, I'm always like "WHY???". Same goes for certain giant moths and phasmids (although I at lease understand with them, because phasmids can genuinely be environmental pests). So far all my beetles are still larvae or pupa, but I've got eastern hercules, harlequin, and glorious scarabs. If you're interested in things besides beetles, you could try millipedes, roaches, or moths. I have various species of each and would recommend them. I love my little collection of millipedes, and they're simple to care for. Hissers are pretty good pet roaches, and they come in a wide variety of colors. As for moths, I love those in the saturniidae family. I don't know off the top of my head which ones don't require permits in TX, but I've heard that receiving permits for native saturniids aren't to difficult to get. I've personally never applied for a permit however, as I don't need one in my area of the US for most species. They are, however, the biggest eaters of all inverts I've dealt with. My group of a dozen cecropia caterpillars went through a branch of leaves a day in their 5th instar. But they're beautiful as caterpillars and moths. And while I have no experience with them, but there's also some native centipedes that get pretty big. That's all I can really think of at the moment.

MTA

Arachnosquire
Water bugs make easy pets, the biggest one is Lethocerus medius and it reaches around 2.5 inches. You keep them in containers with some sort of covering like a rubber band and screen, and make sure they have plenty of things to hold onto like plants or screen. Feed them live food once a week and remove unfinished food . Change their water at around once a week, I just use tap water but if you have lots of chlorine in yours let it sit out for week or more, they don't really care about water parameters and can tolerate pretty bad water.

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
You can try goliath beetles, very legal know. There are native phasmids that grow as big as Australian spiny leaf insects, thats megaphasma (native to the USA). There are also dyanstes grantii and lucanus elaphus, as well as three species of native megasoma. Giant mantises exist, cat mantises grow to 7 inches. I have a pair of giant african millipedes, they grow up to like 12 inches, and rhino roaches grow pretty huge. Another thing you can consider are native katydids/grasshoppers.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
You can try goliath beetles, very legal know. There are native phasmids that grow as big as Australian spiny leaf insects, thats megaphasma (native to the USA). There are also dyanstes grantii and lucanus elaphus, as well as three species of native megasoma. Giant mantises exist, cat mantises grow to 7 inches. I have a pair of giant african millipedes, they grow up to like 12 inches, and rhino roaches grow pretty huge. Another thing you can consider are native katydids/grasshoppers.
Goliath beetles are legal in the US now????

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I was interested in the dynastes tityus but it apparently only lives for a few months in its adult form.
Pretty much all rhino and stag beetles only live months as adults, which sucks since it takes considerably longer than that to rear the larvae...

I'd suggest some sort of large roach, maybe Archimandrita tesselata or Blaberus giganteus? Of course, you could always go for the pricey Macropanesthia rhinoceros as well... :D

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
As for moths, I love those in the saturniidae family. I don't know off the top of my head which ones don't require permits in TX, but I've heard that receiving permits for native saturniids aren't to difficult to get. I've personally never applied for a permit however, as I don't need one in my area of the US for most species. They are, however, the biggest eaters of all inverts I've dealt with. My group of a dozen cecropia caterpillars went through a branch of leaves a day in their 5th instar. But they're beautiful as caterpillars and moths. And while I have no experience with them, but there's also some native centipedes that get pretty big. That's all I can really think of at the moment.
You definitely don't need a permit to keep native saturniids of any kind. IMO that would be pretty absurd, especially since many breeders release their moths which only helps dwindling moth populations.

There are native phasmids that grow as big as Australian spiny leaf insects, thats megaphasma (native to the USA).
Megaphasma is pretty big, but still dwarfed by Extatosoma tiaratum.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
You definitely don't need a permit to keep native saturniids of any kind. IMO that would be pretty absurd, especially since many breeders release their moths which only helps dwindling moth populations.

Megaphasma is pretty big, but still dwarfed by Extatosoma tiaratum.
The breeder I buy from won't sell her moth stock to people of certain states without a proper permit, so I was lead to believe that they do. From what it says on her website, it sounds like you need permits for species that aren't native in your state. I could be wrong, but that's just the impression I've been under.

MTA

Arachnosquire
The breeder I buy from won't sell her moth stock to people of certain states without a proper permit, so I was lead to believe that they do. From what it says on her website, it sounds like you need permits for species that aren't native in your state. I could be wrong, but that's just the impression I've been under.
Here is a site to buy moths from, I have ordered from here before and they are great:http://www.silkmoths.bizland.com/indexos.htm

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
Pretty much all rhino and stag beetles only live months as adults, which sucks since it takes considerably longer than that to rear the larvae...

I'd suggest some sort of large roach, maybe Archimandrita tesselata or Blaberus giganteus? Of course, you could always go for the pricey Macropanesthia rhinoceros as well... :D
That is except the Australian rainbow stags which can live for almost 18 months. Shame they're not for sale very often in America

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
That is except the Australian rainbow stags which can live for almost 18 months. Shame they're not for sale very often in America
Oh, wow, had no idea they could live quite that long, thought they had rather short lifespans like most other stags. Huh, you learn something new everyday! :D

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
According to some accounts, adult rhino beetles can live up to 6 months in captivity. Not amazing, but it is a decent amount of time.