Large fishing spider

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
Awesome. I'm hoping to find a D. triton this summer. Tank with half land and water, some feeder fish.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Gorgeous! Are you keeping her, or was it catch-and-release?

RTTB

Arachnoprince
They would be very fun to watch hunt and feed.

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I may have been off a ltitle with size she definitely is over 5.5 inches it's hard depends on how her legs are positione .But in measuring true spiders you are supposed to go by body length in that case she is 1.75 or 45mm long.

Who knows maybe she has one more molt in her I will know in a couple weeks considering how plump her abdomen is she will drop a sac by then that or she ate a large meal before she was captured.

I did put a male in wit her I watched for couple minutes he approached her and tapped on her legs she kicked home away.

When I cam back she was eating him either way the males will die after they finish their buisness then the female eats them.

It's possible they didn't even mate. Couple reasons she could have ate him? one they may have mated two she may have already mated in the wild three she may not be mature yet..

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes I am keeping them I have couple around 5 inches some males going to breed them more than likely the huge female is going to lay sac soon:) She is plump and still feeding.
Nice! The only fishing spiders I've ever been able to catch are *Trechalea gertschi* - which belong to an entirely different family of spiders. They get pretty good sized, but not as big as your lovely lady!

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Nice job dude!!!! It'd be awesome to own something like that.

Thanks I kept one female last year raised her since she came out if sac she maxed out at 4.5 inches still a large spider nonetheless. I don't have the answer tk why some get so huge some say it's the variety in diet and tems or overwinterin I have tried most of those none made a difference.

Breeding extra large adults won't matter not all of the spiderlings are going to get massive like that a handfull will .

It's some kind of genetic defect like in humans some of us get huge so when you do have a bunch of spiderlings keep as many as you can handle, you will end up getting one that will get extra large especially, in Dolomedes tenebrosus and okefinokensis even, scriptus I once had a female with. 4.25 inch legspan average is 2.5 - 3 inches so even in the medium sized species you can get a brute.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Thanks I kept one female last year raised her since she came out if sac she maxed out at 4.5 inches still a large spider nonetheless. I don't have the answer tk why some get so huge some say it's the variety in diet and tems or overwinterin I have tried most of those none made a difference.

Breeding extra large adults won't matter not all of the spiderlings are going to get massive like that a handfull will .

It's some kind of genetic defect like in humans some of us get huge so when you do have a bunch of spiderlings keep as many as you can handle, you will end up getting one that will get extra large especially, in Dolomedes tenebrosus and okefinokensis even, scriptus I once had a female with. 4.25 inch legspan average is 2.5 - 3 inches so even in the medium sized species you can get a brute.
Very interesting information. I wouldn't call it a genetic "defect", but I would definitely place my bets on it being genetic.

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
If anyone ever wants to buy some from big momma when they hatch shoot me an email at arachnids2000@gmail.com so I can save your information I will have them well started before your take them.