Large Enclosure Supplies?

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My L. parahybana has been eating like crazy and is growing quite well (6"+). I've decided she needs a new enclosure because I think the one she's in now is getting too small.

I was filling her water dish which she first decided was food, then again decided was food - this made me chuckle... she didn't like that. Her threat posture left her front legs leaning on the top of the enclosure which makes me think it's time.

What materials or recommendations do you have for an adult LP sized enclosure? I'd prefer to stay away from sterilite as I find them to be on the ugly side (that and they're a little tall). I'm also looking to avoid piecing one together if I can. I've found that it's about $60 to $75 dollars for a 24x10x10 at 1/8 through taps to piece one together.

Thanks for the help!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My L. parahybana has been eating like crazy and is growing quite well (6"+). I've decided she needs a new enclosure because I think the one she's in now is getting too small.

I was filling her water dish which she first decided was food, then again decided was food - this made me chuckle... she didn't like that. Her threat posture left her front legs leaning on the top of the enclosure which makes me think it's time.

What materials or recommendations do you have for an adult LP sized enclosure? I'd prefer to stay away from sterilite as I find them to be on the ugly side (that and they're a little tall). I'm also looking to avoid piecing one together if I can. I've found that it's about $60 to $75 dollars for a 24x10x10 at 1/8 through taps to piece one together.

Thanks for the help!
Given what you said, the 2 cheapest options to my knowledge are glass and wood. I would look into polycarbonate (LEXAN) stronger than acrylic by far, and I'm told cheaper.

Once could make a container out of wood, and use glass for a front door/s or wall etc etc.

There's a guy, not sure how active, named Jim I believe, on tarantulasus.com who has made several wooden containers for a variety of species. If you can reach him, he'd be a good resource. Just hit their vivarium forum and you'll see numerous posts by him. He does good work that's for sure.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Given what you said, the 2 cheapest options to my knowledge are glass and wood. I would look into polycarbonate (LEXAN) stronger than acrylic by far, and I'm told cheaper.
I looked into polycarbonate and it is not quite twice as much as acrylic through taps.

Once could make a container out of wood, and use glass for a front door/s or wall etc etc.

There's a guy, not sure how active, named Jim I believe, on tarantulasus.com who has made several wooden containers for a variety of species. If you can reach him, he'd be a good resource. Just hit their vivarium forum and you'll see numerous posts by him. He does good work that's for sure.
I think I found what you are taking about.

HERE

It appears as though all his sides are acrylic with wood for the frame. Though I could easily replace the back and bottom with plywood and cover them in expanding foam.

My irminia just molted and is too big for her enclosure too now. My LP's enclosure will work well for the irminia. I may end up just getting the sterilite until I can spend money on a nice enclosure. :sorry:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I looked into polycarbonate and it is not quite twice as much as acrylic through taps.

I think I found what you are taking about.

HERE

It appears as though all his sides are acrylic with wood for the frame. Though I could easily replace the back and bottom with plywood and cover them in expanding foam.

My irminia just molted and is too big for her enclosure too now. My LP's enclosure will work well for the irminia. I may end up just getting the sterilite until I can spend money on a nice enclosure. :sorry:
Yep that's the guy! Yeah I need to rehouse an adult terrestrial, and I'm debating on what I will do. I may go with a Really Useful Box, I use them now, and love them, but they aren't transparent. Maybe I'll use the 10 gallon fish tank I have, I really don't know.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I may go with a Really Useful Box, I use them now, and love them, but they aren't transparent.
So how not transparent are these? It looks like decent sizes are available at an office max near me.

How tall should the enclosure be for my LP? Should I go for the 12" tall ones?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So how not transparent are these? It looks like decent sizes are available at an office max near me.

How tall should the enclosure be for my LP? Should I go for the 12" tall ones?
They are like sterilite but a bit more transparent. Personally they are terrible compared to something clear if you are wanting to see an object clearly with detail. With general ambient light I can see the outline of my T, but I couldn't tell you what species it is by looking only 2 ft away. You can cut off a portion of the top and drop in some acrylic for a top alone. Better than nothing, but not better than glass etc.

They are a good deal generally speaking, have locking lids too that won't disturb your T, plus you can stack them nicely! @EulersK has a vid that shows how/where he cuts the lids off.

The only cheap option is glass and wood.

What size is your LP?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member

Like viper69 said, they're opaque. To me, I wouldn't use them unless I did this modification, especially the colored ones.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
@viper69
I'd say she's a solid 6" maybe 7" if she's really stretching.

I'll look into glass cost. Perhaps if I can find it (reasonably) cheaper, a combination of acrylic (for vent holes) and glass to reduce the cost might work. I'd probably have to use aquarium silicone though or the wood frame.

@EulersK I watched the video awhile back and may do this. Have you had any issues since with the acrylic debonding from the containers?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@viper69
I'd say she's a solid 6" maybe 7" if she's really stretching.

I'll look into glass cost. Perhaps if I can find it (reasonably) cheaper, a combination of acrylic (for vent holes) and glass to reduce the cost might work. I'd probably have to use aquarium silicone though or the wood frame.

@EulersK I watched the video awhile back and may do this. Have you had any issues since with the acrylic debonding from the containers?
I'd go larger and not smaller with that species. Glass will be cheaper, you're better off going all glass and doing what the Europeans use at that rate perhaps. And, if you go that route, compare the cost including your time together against buying an ExoTerra, because an ExoTerra is a commercialized design of what Europeans use, it's a Germany company as well.

TarantulasWorld

Arachnosquire
I have an 8" LP in a 10 gallon tank ($15) half way filled with substrate ($5) and a hide($7) and has an acrylic top that I bought custom cut with the right dimensions off of ebay ($11) that I added some hinges ($2) and clasp ($2) on with silicone glue ($5). she does just fine and will never need anything else.

Good luck!