Landlord just sprayed for ants, please advise...

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Hello folks!

This afternoon, my landlord showed up unannounced to spray all the apartments for ants. I quickly grabbed my Ts from the kitchen, moved them into my bedroom at the other end of the apartment, and shut the door.

He used something called Ortho Home Defense, which claims to keep killing for 12 months. Does this mean I can't move them back for a year, or do you suppose it would be safe after a week or a month? This is the first time I've had Ts while the apartment was being sprayed, and I don't want to do something dumb and kill them. Any advice would be most apprecitated. Thanks!

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
That is the stuff I use on my home. From what I've read the bug has to walk across the soot that was sprayed to be killed. I'm mo expert but the advise I've seen around here and other forums is to just make sure it is dry and there aren't fumes before you move them back into that room.

When i sprayed I just moved my cages out of the room and sprayed then put them back the next day. Its been a month with no issues.

Good luck!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
'landlord' is a term that I consider full anachronistic and that always cracked me up :-s

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Why? There are probably more landlords right now than there have been in any point in human history.
Because I am Italian and to me, the words "land" and "lord" combined together give me a full "crack me up" feeling. I imagine those middle ages rich Counts etc with their army of knights :-s

Mousetank

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't be concerned from Ortho Home Defense. The chemical itself won't become airborne since it isn't a fumigant and the "fumes"should not hard your Ts. It will create a barrier along the baseboard (if thats where it was sprayed) and kill the insects as they walk over it. However, it will not last 12 months and I doubt if it will even last 3 weeks. the chemical itself will break down as the days go by and depending on the temp and humidity as well. If you run a mop where it was sprayed it will remove the chemicals. If you want to be on the safe side, keep your Ts out of the area for a couple days if that gives you a piece of mind. I do pest control for a living and ive used harsher chemicals that domestic products that do the same thing and I've had no affects at all.