land snails in the USA

sarah1031

Arachnopeon
Anyone here know of any places that sell land snails in the USA? I don't care much what species... and yea, I know gals are illegal.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No but I see a striped species here in tx that gets pretty big and has a striped shell, white and black. Pretty interesting and common in places but I haven't seen many lately. There are snail growers that grow and sell an edible sp that you could keep, grow and if you got tired of them, you could eat'em! But I looked into that many years ago and I never did it and forgot about it. They were in California somewhere. The guy's name was Ralph Tucker (?). He was older and may not be around anymore. That guy was really into edible snails. He even had a news letter about them.

kraken

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There are aquatic ones near me that are as big as a golf ball.The snails you mention Galapoheros I may be wrong,but its Helix Aspersa.There are commercial growers,but its hard to get them to sell to individuals without the US permit nowadays :(

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
kraken said:
There are aquatic ones near me that are as big as a golf ball.The snails you mention Galapoheros I may be wrong,but its Helix Aspersa.There are commercial growers,but its hard to get them to sell to individuals without the US permit nowadays :(
Yea, pretty sure that the sps I'm thinking about. Need a permit now? Well, as much as I hate to admit it:mad: , I guess it's good idea to keep tabs on them. I think I'd really like snails...the way they taste:drool: . Haha, They'd be nice as little terr animals but, also, I've never eaten any and I've always wanted to try them. I actually talked to that man on the phone once (Ralph Tucker) and he told me that the local ones I described were edible. :liar:? . I don't know and I'd have to look into that more!

Last edited:

sarah1031

Arachnopeon
I have had snails shipped to me within the US with no problem... I was kinda worried about all the permit stuff but everything turned out fine. The person even wrote "snails" on the box. lol

At this point I just get anyone who is willing and can get their hands on them to ship them to me. Because exotic pet stores don't even carry them anymore...

Oh.. and the aquatic snails that get as big as (actually baseballs, not golf balls), are Canas... (Pomacea canaliculata) I don't need anymore of them... I need to get rid of some.... I have over 200 babies. :8o lol... I'm crazy.

kraken

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
By : sarah1031 "Oh.. and the aquatic snails that get as big as (actually baseballs, not golf balls), are Canas... (Pomacea canaliculata) I don't need anymore of them... I need to get rid of some.... I have over 200 babies. :8o lol... I'm crazy."

No,these stop at golfball(actually a hair under) size.I have had them in my garden pond for 5 years,and they never get above that size.I caught them from a local park where they were introduced by the park service as algae control.These are not apple snails, these are like chinese water snails

sarah1031

Arachnopeon
Hmmm... I think I might know what you are talking about... But either way... I really dont need any more aquatic ones.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pomacea canaliculata do indeed get to baseball size...and fast! And they are also prolific as...snails.

The edible snail is a common pest around here.

Another apple snail commonly available(P. bridgesii) does get to a tad over golfball size.

Kraken, you seem to be describing some kind of viviparous snails. I know some of them stay pretty small but the one that would most likely be called Chinese Trapdoor snail gets to around the size of a Cana stretched a bit.

kraken

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thats the one I was trying to remember..dtknow, was the chinese trapdoor.The local ones around here are very similar to them,but stop at a hair under golfball.I will catch a few and try to get pics

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Just to let you know, there will be NO discussion of illegal activities here at AB. Further proof that no one reads the rules here anymore...

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
I have been asked to re-open this thread based on additional information I received from the person who started it. The intent was not to acquire illegal GALSs despite their illegality, but to acquire LEGAL USA land snails... the "yea I know gals are illegal" comment was intended as off-putting to those who would jump on the post assuming GALSs, which I did. The thread is hereby reopened for discussion of the acquisition of LEGAL USA land snails, with my apologies...

-MrI

sarah1031

Arachnopeon
kraken said:
Thats the one I was trying to remember..dtknow, was the chinese trapdoor.The local ones around here are very similar to them,but stop at a hair under golfball.I will catch a few and try to get pics
I think those are the type of snails that someone from school tryed to get for me from an asian market when he found out I wanted snails... They died before he got them to me though.

kraken

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have some decent size snails running here about as big as a nickel full grown.They are spiral,and land.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
kraken said:
I have some decent size snails running here about as big as a nickel full grown.They are spiral,and land.
those could be either cepaea nimoralis(spelling) or helix asperia(spelling again:wall: ) both really cool snails:drool:

kraken

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I may get to look tomorow,but my son will I know.I will try to get some pics,and if I can get to the park,I will take pics of the aquatic snails also

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you guys want I can fish some from the pond for photos. I believe the scientific name is Cigopandula chinensis...with the genus name surely spelled wrong.

I got my adults from an Asian food market and they survived fine. The weird thing about these snails is that the protein coat on the shell that keeps it smooth wears off pretty quickly and before long they often grow a thick coat of algae and often have layers of shell peeling off. Kinda weird looking to see a green fuzzball gliding along.

iturnrocks

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mister Internet said:
The intent was not to acquire illegal GALSs despite their illegality, but to acquire LEGAL USA land snails... -MrI
What is a GALS?

iturnrocks

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Tomorrow Ill get some pics of the snails in my yard. Ive seen some about silver dollar size.

iturnrocks

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I found a snail plugging the hole in one of my funnel traps.

This one is about the size of a quarter. Ive seen them almost double this size.

Im still working with the new camera, but my macro is getting a little better. I think a tripod will come in really handy when I manual focus like this.

iturnrocks.com

Last edited: