Lampropelma violaceopes pairing...again

Ms.X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is my second attempt to successfully breed Lampropelma violaceopes. Back in January of this year, I cohabitated my male with this same female for almost a month (the male had his ultimate molt at the end of December 2009, and the female's most recent molt was mid-December 2009). I then sent my male off to make his rounds with some other ladies.

No sac was produced and my female molted on 04/07/10. I received a male on loan at the end of July. After receiving permission from the male's owner, I allowed him to cohabitate with my female beginning on 07/31/10. The male was still in her enclosure when she molted on 08/28/10, and I had not witnessed any mating prior to that time. The male had taken up residence in a corner opposite of where the female has constructed her little lair, and several times I saw evidence of sperm webs.

I allowed the female some time to harden up, and then generously fed both of them. They are still cohabitating, and last night I witnessed them mating. I would not have noticed, but males of this species tend to use their front legs to loudly 'slap' what ever surface they happen to be sitting on in order to gain the attention of the female. I heard this slapping, so I looked into the enclosure (Exo Terra rainforest terrarium, for those who may be curious about the setup), and saw that the female had come out of her lair. At this time, she was rapidly drumming in response to the male's slapping. I grabbed my camera and was able to catch the actual act of insertion on video, but the quality is rather poor due to not having time to adjust settings and shooting through the glass.

For those of you who have experience with pairing/breeding this species, I would be very interested to hear your observations and stories. I am also open to suggestions regarding any other measures that may assist me in inducing my female to drop a sac. Several experienced people have already provided me with some helpful tips, and I am grateful that we have such generous people within our hobby community.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice vid and excellent audio {D

He was quite the nervous little guy in there wasn't he? lol..

Here's to success!

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good luck with this. I've tried twice and failed both times, but my male moved on and I at least got a few slings courtesy of UN33dit. Perhaps he can give you some pointers. The commotion these (and C.schioedtei) males can make is astounding. Fingers crossed for you! Diane

Ms.X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here's to success!
Thanks for the well wishes!

Best breeding video music ever! {D{D
I've always imagined this song in my head when observing pairings, and this occasion seemed worthy of some Cake :D I'm glad that you agree!

Good luck with this. I've tried twice and failed both times, but my male moved on and I at least got a few slings courtesy of UN33dit. Perhaps he can give you some pointers. The commotion these (and C.schioedtei) males can make is astounding. Fingers crossed for you! Diane
Thanks again, Di! After my last failure, Gary did give me some tips on ATS and the information was quite helpful. I also must mention that Tom was able to provide me with some valuable suggestions as well, so I'm grateful for the three of you coming to my rescue!