Lampropelma violaceopes death curl...

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
walked into my room to find my 5" male LV in a death curl next to his dish. at first i thought i might have let the cage dry out too much but everything looked fine. i added more water and propped him up to the edge of his dish with a straw. havent noticed any improvement yet... will add pics in a sec..

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
It's my understanding that if he's an arid species, don't use an ICU. I've read here that a lot of pp think it's pretty useless.
Good luck.
Lampropelma are the opposite. im just going to leave it in the dish and hope for the best.

cold blood

Staff member
I notice mine by the end of winter spending a lot of time near or in the dish, despite moisture levels in the sub that are much like yours. I only assume that its the dry winter air getting to it....they seem to be more sensitive than most to dry air.

I will add that I will flood the enclosure from time to time...at this time of year it still dries pretty fast.

Good luck.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
They are excellent tree climbers, pure finest fast as hell arboreals. They are IMO the most delicate among Asian arboreals, slings especially.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I notice mine by the end of winter spending a lot of time near or in the dish, despite moisture levels in the sub that are much like yours. I only assume that its the dry winter air getting to it....they seem to be more sensitive than most to dry air.

Good luck.
90% of the ventilation is covered, and the vents in the room are closed as well. just weird. thanks.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
See now a lot of people will disagree, but oh well.

IMO ventilation is key, especially with species (Theraphosidae as well other inverts like centipedes) that require a more humid environment. In Winter, our house/rooms dry quick... but why cover? Just use your 'eyes', daily check I say, and regulate the moisture.

I have T's & an Asian centipede that they needs of course a good dose of humidity in the enclosure for thrive. I do not cover at all for mantain humidity, I just keep an eye to them always. Air circulation is important, also.

Not saying that this is the cause of that, don't get me wrong. Just saying.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
See now a lot of people will disagree, but oh well.

IMO ventilation is key, especially with species (Theraphosidae as well other inverts like centipedes) that require a more humid environment. In Winter, our house/rooms dry quick... but why cover? Just use your 'eyes', daily check I say, and regulate the moisture.

I have T's & an Asian centipede that they needs of course a good dose of humidity in the enclosure for thrive. I do not cover at all for mantain humidity, I just keep an eye to them always. Air circulation is important, also.

Not saying that this is the cause of that, don't get me wrong. Just saying.
90% of a KK vent covered still provides good vent. i just dont really have the time to check all the cages everyday, school and 57 other pets and whatnot.
@Nightstalker47 yes, because you know my personal life. :meh:

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
The lack of ventilation is most likely what weakened your specimen, stagnant air can kill a T.
by 90% i meant the back half of the top and half of the sides. half the top and the front and half the sides were providing vent. if you knew what youre talking about, youd know thats more than enough.
@Nightstalker47 people who dont know what theyre talking about should not try to give advice in the first place. :rofl: disagree all you want if it makes you feel better

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They are excellent tree climbers, pure finest fast as hell arboreals. They are IMO the most delicate among Asian arboreals, slings especially.
Really on slings? That's odd I never had a problem raising slings. They are ravenous eaters, I always gave them plenty of depth to burrow and provided pretty moist substrate relative to arid species.

Interesting observations people. Their sensitivity to humidity is well documented by Poec54 in many comments, he breeds them.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The lack of ventilation is most likely what weakened your specimen, stagnant air can kill a T.
I'd be surprised if @Venom1080 had stagnant air in any Ts container. He reads quite a bit on here, including almost all, maybe all, of the Avic threads. He's plenty aware of the benefits of stagnant air.:rofl:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
thanks @viper69 but he hasnt moved overnight and has curled again. going to take some pics then throw him out. :( just bewildered, nothing changed in my room, all my other spiders are fine, no previous issues, just randomly found him curled on the ground.. oh well.