Lampropelma Niggerimum and Lampropelma sp. Borneo Black difference?

RadenEzra

Arachnopeon
Sooo

I just really really mixed up with this one. I bought a sling that said to be a L. Niggerimum (or known also as Phormingochilus Arboricola for what I’ve search in the internet:$) and I really just don’t get it, what is the difference between that and L. Sp. Borneo Black? Despite from where they’re came from (what i know is L. Niggerimum come from sangihe island and Sp. BB is came from of course Borneo)

What can you differentiate between those two? Is it the coloration? Or abdomens pattern?

I really need your help so I don’t unintentionally crossbreed this two species:)

Thanks in advance guys!!

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Sooo

I just really really mixed up with this one. I bought a sling that said to be a L. Niggerimum (or known also as Phormingochilus Arboricola for what I’ve search in the internet:$) and I really just don’t get it, what is the difference between that and L. Sp. Borneo Black? Despite from where they’re came from (what i know is L. Niggerimum come from sangihe island and Sp. BB is came from of course Borneo)

What can you differentiate between those two? Is it the coloration? Or abdomens pattern?

I really need your help so I don’t unintentionally crossbreed this two species:)

Thanks in advance guys!!
A foolproof way to not cross breed then is simply not to breed them together.

If your are not 100% sure that what you intend to breed together are the exact same species then don't breed them, period.

RadenEzra

Arachnopeon
A foolproof way to not cross breed then is simply not to breed them together.

If your are not 100% sure that what you intend to breed together are the exact same species then don't breed them, period.
Yeahh i knoww but can you more like describe what’s the difference? It’s still a long way to breeding from 3cm sling right? The main concern that I questioned about is how to differentiate them:)

Noted by the way, I will not breed the species which I don’t have the info 100% for sure:)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
L. sp. "Borneo Black" (or L. nigerrimum arboricola) is now Phormingochilus arboricola - These are black/brown and have striping on the abdomen (I think even as adults, not sure as I don't keep this species), I believe these also get a bit larger than L. nigerrimum.

L. nigerrimum (Sangihe Island Black) wasn't changed - Adult females are basically jet black with a purple sheen, males turn brown at juvie sizes.

View media item 62316

Moebius

Arachnopeon
As the Reaper said; Phormingochillus arboricola is the ex Lampropelma "Borneo Black"/ Lampropelma nigerrimum arboricola. These are not Lampropelma nigerrimum, which is a different species (and if that was what yours was labelled as, it is not the newly revised P. arboricola).

You'll see a fairly substantial legspan commonly with the P. arboricola compared with L. nigerrimum, and to confirm, they lack that purple sheen. Basically, you buy one for the size, and the other for the coloration, but they're both quite the lookers and impressive when they come out and about.

It's best to stick with breeders/dealers that are good with their labelling in the end. As is, there shouldn't be any confusion. Your labelling has no indication of being an "arboricola". It should be as it was labelled, L. nigerrimum, and only paired with other L. nigerrimum. Don't pair it with any "borneo blacks"/arboricola/nigerrimum arboricola.

If you're not certain who you got the species from did proper labelling... don't breed it, simple as that. As is, it just looks like you got a bit mixed up when digging around, it happens. You don't run into many three-part names in the tarantula hobby, and with additional names in use for their scientific labelling it can be a bit of a snarl when first info hunting. You should have the smaller, purple-tinted beauties (assuming it's a female).

RadenEzra

Arachnopeon
L. sp. "Borneo Black" (or L. nigerrimum arboricola) is now Phormingochilus arboricola - These are black/brown and have striping on the abdomen (I think even as adults, not sure as I don't keep this species), I believe these also get a bit larger than L. nigerrimum.

L. nigerrimum (Sangihe Island Black) wasn't changed - Adult females are basically jet black with a purple sheen, males turn brown at juvie sizes.

View media item 62316
Thanks for the info!! It is really really helpful:D

As the Reaper said; Phormingochillus arboricola is the ex Lampropelma "Borneo Black"/ Lampropelma nigerrimum arboricola. These are not Lampropelma nigerrimum, which is a different species (and if that was what yours was labelled as, it is not the newly revised P. arboricola).

You'll see a fairly substantial legspan commonly with the P. arboricola compared with L. nigerrimum, and to confirm, they lack that purple sheen. Basically, you buy one for the size, and the other for the coloration, but they're both quite the lookers and impressive when they come out and about.

It's best to stick with breeders/dealers that are good with their labelling in the end. As is, there shouldn't be any confusion. Your labelling has no indication of being an "arboricola". It should be as it was labelled, L. nigerrimum, and only paired with other L. nigerrimum. Don't pair it with any "borneo blacks"/arboricola/nigerrimum arboricola.

If you're not certain who you got the species from did proper labelling... don't breed it, simple as that. As is, it just looks like you got a bit mixed up when digging around, it happens. You don't run into many three-part names in the tarantula hobby, and with additional names in use for their scientific labelling it can be a bit of a snarl when first info hunting. You should have the smaller, purple-tinted beauties (assuming it's a female).
Actually the breeder said it is L Niggerimum and when I asked where is it came from wether it is from borneo or sangihe he replied that it is came from borneo. That’s what make me confused, even though the breeder reputation is quite popular, he’s one of the pioneer of tarantula hobby in Indonesia.

But from the info I got from you guys should be enough for me to differentiate them my self, when the sling arrived I’ll post it up and update it as it grow so i could be more certain of what species it is:)

Thanks a lott mann

Zerosu

Arachnopeon
Thanks for this, it really helped clear up a lot of confusion!

I had purchased her as "Lampropelma Nigerrimum Aboricola"

I was wanting to breed my Phormingochilus Aboricola but was so worried about cross breeding so I was put off by it.

She is my favourite tarantula and I lover her, here are 2 pics. Sorry about the low quality.

Attachments

omni

Arachnobaron
a bit late, but I have 2 L. nigerrimum and researching these. it's accepted that ex L. nigerrimum arboricola was a sub-sp. of L. nigerrimum and has now it's own taxonomy P. arboricola. I understand the arboricola inhabit Borneo (Borneo sp. black) and the nigerrimum from Sangihe Island. Basically the upper lat eyes are larger than the lower lats , the 4th metatarsus are spikier and the the tufts of hair on all legs are more central only. tarsi may be a bit orange (differentiates from L. n. nigerrimum)
there's more but here's a link to Tarantulapedia with Gunter Schmidt, R. Barensteiner's technical notes from 2015. - Phormingochilus arboricola