lampropelma nigerrimum. Not another dying sling!

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
Joined
Oct 2, 2010
Messages
197
been playing on my mind all day now, iv had sling deaths before for no apparent reason, even a juvie pederseni went this way. I feed them enough, they have plenty of water and humidity, but, for some reason they just gave up the ghost, no leg curl or anything, they just slow down and slow down until they dont move anymore. Now i know the pederseni was in pre-moult, so im wondering if its something to do with that. Now my sangihe island black 3rd is going down that same road i think, just tried feeding and noticed the sluggishness on him/her. It was walking, but in a really slow and ominous way. It even climbed, landed on its back and couldnt righten its self. Iv bumbed up the humidity and put it in the dark but have a bad feeling about it. Im not going to i.c.u as its not a dehydration problem. Its missing left leg 3 aswell, so if its struggling with moults this early it may be a sign of things to come :( will keep you posted.
 

Mammothdog

Arachnopeon
Joined
Jan 25, 2011
Messages
41
If it makes you feel better my P. Cambridgei sling died right after a molt. To me it seems like it's just me being a bad T owner but it's not. Sometimes slings die for no explainable reason.
 

Lolita

Arachnoknight
Joined
Jan 9, 2011
Messages
185
If it makes you feel better my P. Cambridgei sling died right after a molt. To me it seems like it's just me being a bad T owner but it's not. Sometimes slings die for no explainable reason.
i think we all feel that way at some point when they just randomly die on us for no explainable reason sorry for your loss though
 

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
Joined
Oct 2, 2010
Messages
197
If it makes you feel better my P. Cambridgei sling died right after a molt. To me it seems like it's just me being a bad T owner but it's not. Sometimes slings die for no explainable reason.
and yet avics are supposed to be nightmares to raise from slings. They even have a name for it s.a.d (sudden avic death) but my avic slings have all been bulletproof. It just narks me that i know something is wrong and i cant do anything. It was eating fine the other day too.

---------- Post added at 11:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

and im sorry bout your cambridgei, i bought a sling the day i got the sangihe too, always wanted the cambridgei but adults go for silly money in lps
 

Lolita

Arachnoknight
Joined
Jan 9, 2011
Messages
185
and yet avics are supposed to be nightmares to raise from slings. They even have a name for it s.a.d (sudden avic death) but my avic slings have all been bulletproof. It just narks me that i know something is wrong and i cant do anything. It was eating fine the other day too.

---------- Post added at 11:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

and im sorry bout your cambridgei, i bought a sling the day i got the sangihe too, always wanted the cambridgei but adults go for silly money in lps
yeah i know what you mean you get a t expecting it to be a at least rather tough sling and then poof it dies and your like :eek:
 

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 2, 2008
Messages
3,106
been playing on my mind all day now, iv had sling deaths before for no apparent reason, even a juvie pederseni went this way. I feed them enough, they have plenty of water and humidity, but, for some reason they just gave up the ghost, no leg curl or anything, they just slow down and slow down until they dont move anymore. Now i know the pederseni was in pre-moult, so im wondering if its something to do with that. Now my sangihe island black 3rd is going down that same road i think, just tried feeding and noticed the sluggishness on him/her. It was walking, but in a really slow and ominous way. It even climbed, landed on its back and couldnt righten its self. Iv bumbed up the humidity and put it in the dark but have a bad feeling about it. Im not going to i.c.u as its not a dehydration problem. Its missing left leg 3 aswell, so if its struggling with moults this early it may be a sign of things to come :( will keep you posted.
Please post pictures of your enclosures. What type of feeders are you using?
 

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 2, 2008
Messages
3,106
its in this vial
Is substrate the only thing you have in there though? If there isn't anything for them to anchor their webs to, they probably won't do well. Yes, they eventually make elaborate burrows and tunnels with the substrate, but they need something to anchor them too.
 

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Joined
Mar 25, 2007
Messages
911
I have alot of slings, and i have been in the woods and got some bark, cleaned it good, and they dont die on me. I had your problem a few years ago, but rarely loose a sling now after i use bark. Otherwise, there should be no problems using this vial you use.
 

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
Joined
Oct 2, 2010
Messages
197
yup, i always use bark, boiling water on it, then into the oven for half an hour with it. Even my 3rd slings get bark to make them feel secure
 

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 2, 2008
Messages
3,106
I don't know. Could just be a runt, you're bound to get one every now and then. Especially with larger collections. Not every spider in a sac is going to reach adulthood.
 

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
Joined
Oct 2, 2010
Messages
197
I don't know. Could just be a runt, you're bound to get one every now and then. Especially with larger collections. Not every spider in a sac is going to reach adulthood.
i think it may be. Just one of those things. Might still make it, im not getting my hopes up though, will update when i know. In the next few days its gonna be:
1. Moult
or
2. Death
 

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Joined
Mar 25, 2009
Messages
813
I don't know. Could just be a runt, you're bound to get one every now and then. Especially with larger collections. Not every spider in a sac is going to reach adulthood.
Enough said!!! You always take that risk when buying slings!!!

To the op! the only thing i really noticed in your enclosure.... is what Jason said, that it was lacking a bit of substrate... they do make those elaborate tunnels!!!!also I seen that your substrate looked like it was soaking wet in that pic!!! bad idea for a molting Lampro!

Rather than that your just playing against odds!!!!
Hope your T survives!!!!

Peace
 

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 2, 2008
Messages
3,106
To the op! the only thing i really noticed in your enclosure.... is what Jason said, that it was lacking a bit of substrate... they do make those elaborate tunnels!!!!also I seen that your substrate looked like it was soaking wet in that pic!!! bad idea for a molting Lampro!
Yeah, I was actually going to metion that the substrate looked awfully wet. Could've just been a bad angle...
 

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
Joined
Oct 2, 2010
Messages
197
I don't know. Could just be a runt, you're bound to get one every now and then. Especially with larger collections. Not every spider in a sac is going to reach adulthood.
its not all that wet, top layer is moist but its not o.t.t. I know that can be as bad as too dry. Theres not a ton of sub in there but it is a 3rd so its tiny, i will be using different vials after this, whether he makes it or not, i prefes some of the ones we got from hamm
 

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
1,651
Sounds like it was a weak sling. I just had the same thing happen, I found of of my S. arndsti slings dead yesterday. Its kinda funny how bummed it made me. I was out of town all last weekend and was home very little during the week and didn't keep its substrate moist enough...perhaps. I'll never know why it died while my other two are going strong. Sometimes they just aren't meant to live.

Sucks man, I hope you have/get more because that is an amazingly beautiful species
 
Top