Lake Tawakoni State Park

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Chris Hamilton (hamfoto), Roxanna, and I made a trip out to Lake Tawakoni State Park yesterday to see the the spider web that's been in the news lately... discussion HERE.

I have to say, it was very, very cool.

Phidippus audax
eating the the species responsible for most of the webbing, Tetragnatha guatemalensis.

Phidippus audax

Argiope in a honey locust tree with large orthopteran prey.

Last edited:

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I see you...

Tetragnatha guatemalensis

Bagheera prosper

Phidippus audax starting to sneak up on Bagheera prosper

Bagheera prosper not appreciating getting sneaked up on and throwing a threat display.

Last edited:

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Latrodectus hesperus with eggsac.

What's in here?

This guy is... ID? Not really in focus, but this guy wouldn't stay still.

P. audax

Wasps

Some of the local Odonata

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Some orthopterans

Neoscona crucifera

Larinioides cornutus

Bagheera prosper

A very interesting spider here... at first I thought it was a velvet ant running across the trail... a good mimic... maybe Corrinidae?

Last edited:

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Now... the web.

Roxanna looking up in awe

This swampy area is adjacent to the main area of webbing and provides a steady supply of mosquitoes.

Hope you enjoyed!

Eric

patrick86

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Beautiful.

Outstanding job of bringing it to us Eric, thank you. Would loved to have seen it.

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Absolutly amazing, you are lucky to be close by, thanks for sharing!

Martin

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Very cool Eric. Excellent job at documenting this webbing!

John
];')

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
my turn...

Here's some of my pics from yesterday...It was absolutely one of THE coolest things I've ever seen! From the sheer density of the Tetragnatha guatemalensis, to the number of other species of spiders that had come, to the web to take advantage of it, to the (what seems to be) perfect confluence of location, weather and food availability...it makes a once-in-a-lifetime event.

Enjoy...
Chris

Attachments

Last edited:

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
some more...

Here's some shots of other spider species on the web or near the web (the first is a Phiddipus audax predating a T. guatemalensis)...as well as one of the dragonflies that were there (which there were hundreds), and some more web shots.
The second shot is a threat display given to me by a P. audax...it was mad! And I've seen a lot of these here in Texas...but these were by far the largest I've ever seen (not quite an inch...but pushing .75 inch)!

Chris

Attachments

Last edited:

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WOW! That's amazing! That's so cool that you got to see it. I hope that I see it someday. And about the spider you couldn't ID I would like to know what it is and since you live in Texas I think you should submit it to Bugguide for an ID.

I think that the pick is good. It shows alot of detail about the spider that should help ID it. Do you have any idea as to what family it's in ( I'm not talking about the one that looks like the velvet ant )? Wishing you luck on that one! εĭз

Black Widow88

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
:clap: I was waiting to see these, Awesome pics. Thanks for sharing fellas.

-Tom

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great pics! Glad someone here got out there ..thanks for sharing! ;)

Phiddipus audax predating a T. guatemalensis ...awesome! I suspect there will be a bumper crop of spider eaters for the next couple years.

It will be interesting to see if there is in any amount a repeat of this phenomenon next season. ...Im assuming that T.guatemalensis are seasonal (?)

DFW Tfan

Arachnopeon
Tremendous pics; only wish I could see it live:( :wall:

I especially liked the series of the bagheera and the P. audax and the individual shot of theP. audax in threat posture.