laeta or caesia?

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A. laeta name change?

i found something interesting upon doing a search on care for Avicularia laeta... it said that the Avicularia laeta is going through a name change to Avicularia caesia. i dont know if this is true or not because this is the first time i've heard about it. i found it at this page: http://hem.spray.se/minax/arter/namn_e.html

can anyone confirm?

kellygirl

Last edited:

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
this is interesting because i was wondering whether or not E. longiceps/pachypus changed....i guess so

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Paladin
this is interesting because i was wondering whether or not E. longiceps/pachypus changed....i guess so
why is it that the latin names change so often?

and does no one know the answer to my original question?

kellygirl

Garrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They're currently considered two different species to my knowledge. However, the genus Avicularia is such a mess right now that it may be a while before people have an accurate assessment of what's what.
Sometimes Latin name changes happen becuase a taxonomist describes a species based only on a type specimen that's male or one that's female; he or she didn't get specimens of both genders. Later on, it may turn out to be the same as another species. In other cases, the type may just be a shed skin or a badly mutilated spider in a jar that's been there for 100 years.
Later, someone finds out about regional variations and other factors, and some spiders turn out to be the same species as one already described. Others turn out to be new species entirely, etc.
In any case, both the species you mentioned were originally described from females. I don't think the male has ever been described.

-Garrick

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Big bump to bring this thread back from the dead....

Anyone have any info on Avicularia caesia? Saw this page a few days ago...it was mentioned elsewhere that A. laeta was being changed to A. caesia...got curious...thought I'd check here. Is A. caesia the species I've read about that lives on an island off the east coast of Puerto Rico? :? Bad memory.

Is trying to find info on this species a lost cause as almost every other species in the genus seems to be?

Thanks.

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is a widespread case with some species of Avicularia unfortunately to describe them based on the juvenil specimens :( as Garrick reffered on his site...
So, nobody can't be and tell for sure till the revision of the genus...

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks Scourge and Mikhail.

I forgot to mention in my above post that I had read Garrick's entry for A. caesia. Was just a bit curious to know if anything new had been brought up since the site I linked to had the photo labeled as A. caesia. :)

So, any guesses as to the ID of the spider in the photo labeled A. caesia in the site I linked to? Doesn't look like an Avic to me....more like Tapinauchenius, really, but there aren't any Taps native to Puerto Rico are there? Anything resembling them? Am I completely off base? I don't know why but that pic is bugging me. I don't have much of an interest in Taps or Avics but this one has me curious.

Thanks again. :)

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I read somewhere that they changed before but obviously it wasnt correct information. And I have forgot to change it on the site.