Lack of m.mesomelas

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Well,now thanks to all of you with links to Megphobema,s,i went and spent more money on T.s.
And i can blame all of you for my not being able to pay for my heating bill!!!
Prioritys,right?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
395 dollar for a 1" NW version of Hysterocrates laticeps is crazy price IMO.
Jeez I knew Canada was expensive but man, wow.
I'm not saying that it isn't expensive for them to have them imported, because it probably is, but the lack of competition here contributes to that price. We have only three major dealers with the ability to import and who are equipped to have a really high number of tarantulas. Maybe a handful of smaller people, mostly in the big cities like Toronto, who might be breeding one or two species that is rarer. When you're the only one selling a difficult species for the hardcore hobbyist to find, people will pay for them. Plus, Tarantula Canada has an amazing reputation and some very loyal customers.
Tomorrow is the last Toronto expo before the new year. I bet there will be people paying those prices tomorrow. And those aren't the only two species with those pricetags.

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've had a couple of M. mesomelas and they've been quite difficult to raise. They've all perished from complications. Their natural habitat is a bit cooler than most Ts like it, so they don't fare well in higher temperatures.

I'm currently trying to raise M. peterklaasi.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I've had a couple of M. mesomelas and they've been quite difficult to raise. They've all perished from complications. Their natural habitat is a bit cooler than most Ts like it, so they don't fare well in higher temperatures.

Cooler and moist is a must. I think maybe that is why they havent been seen much for a while. Maybe people have been keeping them wrong and it has damaged the market for them. Who knows.

I'm not saying that it isn't expensive for them to have them imported, because it probably is, but the lack of competition here contributes to that price. We have only three major dealers with the ability to import and who are equipped to have a really high number of tarantulas. Maybe a handful of smaller people, mostly in the big cities like Toronto, who might be breeding one or two species that is rarer. When you're the only one selling a difficult species for the hardcore hobbyist to find, people will pay for them. Plus, Tarantula Canada has an amazing reputation and some very loyal customers.
Tomorrow is the last Toronto expo before the new year. I bet there will be people paying those prices tomorrow. And those aren't the only two species with those pricetags.
Absolutely understand this. I think the Canadian hobbyists are due credit with that respect. If you are willing to pay that much there is more of a dedication if you get what I mean. It makes the Ts you get are even more appreciated.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +

I keep my robustrums and my mesomelas at 68 to 70 degrees F.Slightly moistion the substate every couple of days.
They also only get dubias.No nasty crickets.Occasionly the temps drop to 65F,and they seem to be out more often.

ARspiders

Arachnosquire
Well prices in Engeland aren't that great. I bought a T. Blondi sling for €65,- (about 55 to 60 dollar) here in the Netherlands where they ask a lot more in Engeland

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep my robustrums and my mesomelas at 68 to 70 degrees F.Slightly moistion the substate every couple of days.
They also only get dubias.No nasty crickets.Occasionly the temps drop to 65F,and they seem to be out more often.
I tried to maintain those temperatures as well. I was able to raise some to maturity, but at some point, each one of the mesomelas succumbed to either some sort of parasite or cyst that never occurred with any of my other Ts. Each mesomelas death happened independently of the others since I didn't have them all at the same time.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
I tried to maintain those temperatures as well. I was able to raise some to maturity, but at some point, each one of the mesomelas succumbed to either some sort of parasite or cyst that never occurred with any of my other Ts. Each mesomelas death happened independently of the others since I didn't have them all at the same time.
thanks for that info.Ill keep an eye out for anything strange going on with them.I have three going at the moment.
I'm sorry you had issues with the ones you had.Im wondering now if most all mesomelas are WC.?Or all
Megphobema,s for that matter.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well prices in Engeland aren't that great. I bought a T. Blondi sling for €65,- (about 55 to 60 dollar) here in the Netherlands where they ask a lot more in Engeland
Prices will vary from country to country and from species to species T blondi is just one example I'm pretty sure i could do the same with a species if i could be bothered to look. And just for the record it's uk prices as we aren't independent from each other yet :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
That is a lie!
You can get way better prices in mainland europe ;)
Ah ah, but considering how much priced is life in England (after all 80% of arachnids online sellers are England based) their prices aren't that bad... definitely cheaper than fat butt Merkel domain :)

Indeed Poland, Hungary (hello Orban) etc prices are better :-s

Czech prime

Arachnoknight
Ah ah, but considering how much priced is life in England (after all 80% of arachnids online sellers are England based) their prices aren't that bad... definitely cheaper than fat butt Merkel domain :)

Indeed Poland, Hungary (hello Orban) etc prices are better :-s
German prices are usually ok. Chraper than england from my experiences, same goes for phasmid prices.
Poland and Hungary are a league of their own tho