L. Violaceopes help

crystalfreakkk

Arachnosquire
I recently got a sling and it’s been doing really well I think. It just molted a few days ago and then all of a sudden it’s doing a little death curl. I just had a P. Pulcher sling die for no apparent reason so I’ll be really upset if this one dies. It’s eaten since I got it I thought it was doing good. I thought maybe it was poor ventilation so I removed it from its vial and placed it in a larger deli cup with more air holes and a coffe filter on the lid so the air flow should be good. I did this this morning and it looked like it helped until I just checked on it again and it’s still doing the death curl. I’m not sure what to do. I’ll be pretty pissed if it dies on me.

It’s been around 70 degrees in my house.

Attachments

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
This species is one of the harder ones to raise, I remember reading through a couple Q & As with breeders and one, or even two, breeders had mentioned that this species is difficult to care for and they’ve had slings/juvies die on them. I haven’t personally kept them, but hoping someone chimes in as I’d like to keep this species in the future.

crystalfreakkk

Arachnosquire
Well all I can say is that SUCKS. Hopefully it recovers and I’ll rehouse it into a more appropriate enclosure that suits its needs.

MissouriArachnophile

Arachnoknight
Sure that is a L. Violaceopes? Just haven't seen a sling without the pattern on the abdomen or with that little setae, but it probably is a L.v. Either way I'm sure Viper69 or one of the more experienced keepers could give more information.

Last edited:

crystalfreakkk

Arachnosquire
Sure that is a L. Violaceopes?
I bought it from a reputable breeder but it’s a tiny baby, so no visible marking yet.

Lets see some pics of your full setup.
I have it in a temporary container because I was worried that what it was in had poor airflow. I took some tweezers and brought all the moss in the vial (with the sling on it) into this larger container that offered better ventilation. I put a wet cloth at the bottom so kinda an ICU but I didn’t know what else to do.

MissouriArachnophile

Arachnoknight
Has it gotten any better over the last 7 hours? I was just curious on the L.v part i had to go and look up the smaller slings, mine was already an inch when i got it. Surprised there hasn't been a more helpful reply. I know they like moisture & ventilation and a piece of corkbark to make a dirt curtain around and substrate to build/burrow in. Is it still highly mobile or real sluggish? Could you put it over a shallow water dish inside of the enclosure? If it isn't dehydration, i hope someone else might know what to do.

cold blood

Staff member
They definitely are a moisture dependent species, especially when smaller, but I have never had an issue with them, although I got them late in my keeping, but I could see how less experienced keepers would have issues.

Too much moisture can be even more of a problem than too dry though, so because people are paranoid about their fragility and need for damp, they tend to lean on the damper side, which isn't always the best.

If its housed properly, an LV, even a small sling, will be absolutely voracious with food, so not eating can be a sign of problems if the t isn't pre-molt.

Because of the need for moisture, there comes a need for ventilation, but frankly I ventilate pretty much the same for all ts, which appears to be a lot less than most. But I also let pretty much all slings dry out a little between dampenings, now how long differs, an LV may only dry out for a day or two, something like a Brachy may be dry for close to a week...I do think these periodic dryings do help keep things balanced.

Pics of the set up would be needed, although arboreal by title, they shouldn't be set up anything like a classic arboreal (avic types), and they don't require vertical space as much as ground space and burrowing space. More room as well as deeper sub both help keep moisture levels more stable as it takes longer to dry out (with the addition of less water), and other areas can also be left dry.

I don't know that I would use an ICU or anything like it, as you don't know for certain the reason for the down turn...after all, it could be caused by excessive moisture...f that's the case, an ICU could be critically damaging.

A nice roomy set up with dampness options, burrowing and hiding options and a water dish would be ideal.

Last edited:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I dont think they are harder to raise than any other Asian arboreal (ex. Poeci)

Basically, as cold blood mentioned, they are moisture dependent. But that doesnt mean the enclosure should be soaking. They require a good amount of cross ventilation and ventilation on top the enclosure.

Stagnant air is no good for any T. But Asian arboreals seem fairly fragile when it comes to that.

A very moist enclosure is likely to do more damage faster to this species than a dry one.

MissouriArachnophile

Arachnoknight
Is there anything the OP could do for it in it's current state? Is what i've been wondering since i first read this earlier.

boina

Lady of the mites
I don't own LV, but both other Lampropelma species in the hobby. Like with Avics you have to get things just right with these or they'll die. They are not a beginner species, not because they are OW but because they are not forgiving of husbandry mistakes. They need moisture, but get things too moist and they'll die even faster. Because of that I'm not sure moist paper towels are such a good idea.

At this point I'm not sure that anything can be done to save the spider, though :(.

Last edited:

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I summoned @cold blood for this discussion because I obtained my L.v from him (if you want one keep an eye on his posts...PHENOMENAL), he set me straight in what she needed, and she’s doing great. My girl was well established when I received her and I keep her the same as any other species, not just arboreals, that like a little more moisture. I emphasize, “like a little more”. I think terms like “moisture dependent”, etc., are confusing to folks, especially newer keepers. If they like a little more moisture, provide a little bigger water dish, or two, overflow the dish a little more often than drier kept species, and maybe drip some water around half of the enclosure regularly. In the OP’s case my suggestion would be remove it from the enclosure, change the substrate, moistening half and leave the other half dry, and if your spider recovers it will have the choice as to where it wants to be. When I do have the pleasure of seeing my L.v, she is inconsistent in where she hangs out, sometimes it’s on or around the water, other times she stays put on the other side of the enclosure where it’s bone dry. Give them a choice.

crystalfreakkk

Arachnosquire
Okay. I haven’t checked on it yet today. I did see it walk around a bit yesterday. I don’t think it’s dehydrated because I dripped water on it’s mouthparts and it didn’t drink it. I’ll check on it when I get home and make sure it’s not too damp. I can set up an enclosure for it today too. Since it was just in a vile before and now it’s in a cup it hasn’t been in a proper set up yet. It just molted so I was going to move it into one soon. I hope it’s okay. I understand it isn’t a beginner species but I’ve been in the hobby for a few years and I haven’t had any issues with husbandry before that I thought I could handle it. Hopefully it’s nothing I’ve done that has put it in this state, I would hate to be the cause of any suffering.

Mojo288

Arachnoknight
I cant really say ive had any trouble with my LV, same setup as my phormingochilus/cyriopogapus hati hati and schodtei, deep sub, like 3 inches, give it plenty of room to dig for more moisture, top of the sub is dryer obviously, i just make sure the bottom never completely dries out even with plenty of ventilation (gives them a humidity gradient), and they can pick where they are happy.

The only Ts i dont do this for is avics, they dont need anything but a waterdish IMO.

All are happy as clams and iv had them since like 3/4 of an inch/

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Okay. I haven’t checked on it yet today. I did see it walk around a bit yesterday. I don’t think it’s dehydrated because I dripped water on it’s mouthparts and it didn’t drink it. I’ll check on it when I get home and make sure it’s not too damp. I can set up an enclosure for it today too. Since it was just in a vile before and now it’s in a cup it hasn’t been in a proper set up yet. It just molted so I was going to move it into one soon. I hope it’s okay. I understand it isn’t a beginner species but I’ve been in the hobby for a few years and I haven’t had any issues with husbandry before that I thought I could handle it. Hopefully it’s nothing I’ve done that has put it in this state, I would hate to be the cause of any suffering.
This is how we learn, Ma’am.

crystalfreakkk

Arachnosquire
Thanks for all the insight everyone. Sadly, the sling didn’t make it. Even though I’ve been in the hobby a couple years I learn new things all the time. Hopefully this experience just makes me a better keeper.