L. Violaceopes female?

winwin

Arachnoknight
Hey guys, is my sing blue really a female?

And here it is, freshly molted:

Size comparison beside 1 peso coin 2.5cm diameter:

Last edited:

Sonya

Arachnopeon
I'm not very familiar with this genus but I would say it's a male.

winwin

Arachnoknight
That makes me sad. I was hoping for a female. Someone even said 1 way of telling if an LV is female is if it has big toe pads... :(

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
It is a male. Sorry.

But I have a female and I would be interested in your male. Just PM me if that is something you are open to.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
That looks male to me, both ventral and molt. Doesn't look anything like my girl.
Also, that toepads thing sounds like a bunch of malarky. Who told you that?

winwin

Arachnoknight
Guys, i updated the pics, it seems i posted 2 pics twice. You still think it's male? :(

---------- Post added at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 AM ----------

That looks male to me, both ventral and molt. Doesn't look anything like my girl.
Also, that toepads thing sounds like a bunch of malarky. Who told you that?
A friend of mine. He said at an early stage, females develop rounder toe pads.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Guys, i updated the pics, it seems i posted 2 pics twice. You still think it's male? :(

---------- Post added at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 AM ----------

A friend of mine. He said at an early stage, females develop rounder toe pads.
Yup. Looks like a male to me, too. Drat.

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
IMO Its a male
The colouration gives it away, the olive greens are showing but also the spermatheca of this species is VERY pronounced like an exagerated camels humps.
Ive heard the claim about the feet too. My female has much broader feet than that.

He's not mature yet so he's not ready to go out to breeding, he'll turn completely olive green when that happens with much thinner body and no sign of blue. I suggest you use him within the first 2 months of maturity as their lifespan once matured is quite small and Ive never had one survive 6 months.
I'd take him if you could post him to the UK. Ive known of postage to Singapore to take about a week so you'd have to wait til springtime. Ive previously had one from Poland but the female became egg-bound and I eventually lost her.
These are not an easy species to breed, failure is high and the males often get eaten.
You could seek out a female yourself. Coming from the Philippines you have the appropriate climate. Perhaps you know Phark? He visits the Arachnophiles forum in the UK. I know he was seeking these in Malaysia.

winwin

Arachnoknight
IMO Its a male
The colouration gives it away, the olive greens are showing but also the spermatheca of this species is VERY pronounced like an exagerated camels humps.
Ive heard the claim about the feet too. My female has much broader feet than that.

He's not mature yet so he's not ready to go out to breeding, he'll turn completely olive green when that happens with much thinner body and no sign of blue. I suggest you use him within the first 2 months of maturity as their lifespan once matured is quite small and Ive never had one survive 6 months.
I'd take him if you could post him to the UK. Ive known of postage to Singapore to take about a week so you'd have to wait til springtime. Ive previously had one from Poland but the female became egg-bound and I eventually lost her.
These are not an easy species to breed, failure is high and the males often get eaten.
You could seek out a female yourself. Coming from the Philippines you have the appropriate climate. Perhaps you know Phark? He visits the Arachnophiles forum in the UK. I know he was seeking these in Malaysia.
Okay. Thank you very much for that info. I guess i do have a male. :( i was hoping to have a huge blue spider for display...

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
sorry win... i would love to have him for my gurl... but u way too far for me to grab him!!! Here she is, you can see the difference!!!

Peace.

winwin

Arachnoknight
sorry win... i would love to have him for my gurl... but u way too far for me to grab him!!! Here she is, you can see the difference!!!

Peace.
Woah, that's really nice! I salute you for handling her. Mine's stil pretty small though. 10cm is all legs, i'll post another pic with something as comparison later. :)

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
IMO Its a male

Pete, in my first attempt breeding these, my female double clutched and the male cohabited with the female for several months (even when egglaying). The female never showed slight aggression towards the male, and he finally died of old age. Maybe I had odd L. vio?? I'm waiting for one male to mature to mate with mom lol!

I agree, it's male.

Cheers,
pato

winwin

Arachnoknight
Size comparison beside 1 peso coin 2.5cm diameter:

It's still pretty small... Might start looking for someone to loan this to in the future. Haha

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pato, you're following me around with your stories of success LOL
Great to hear. I think Ive lost 4 males to my Singapore blue none of them stayed in there any longer than a day. Lampropelma and Cyriopagopus are extremely quick with the insertion and ive never had the males live for very long. I have C. shioedtei together at mo in separate tubes but no idea if they've interacted.

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Pato, you're following me around with your stories of success LOL
Great to hear. I think Ive lost 4 males to my Singapore blue none of them stayed in there any longer than a day. Lampropelma and Cyriopagopus are extremely quick with the insertion and ive never had the males live for very long. I have C. shioedtei together at mo in separate tubes but no idea if they've interacted.
Hahaha Sorry Pete!!! :D I really haven't got much experience with them. My female is extremely shy and I could never see the insertions, so I left the male there. I'm doing the same thing with most Poecilotheria species, as usually there's no way I can see the insertions! I have a MM regalis that goes from female to female lol! :D

Take care friend!

Pato

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
LOL Pato, good to have you as a friend
I too have a MM P. regalis doing the rounds, just about to put him with the third female. And today I put the P. rufilata together.
I've also moved the MM C. shioedtei into the same tub as the female as I can't see any interaction with these yet.

endoflove

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Okay. Thank you very much for that info. I guess i do have a male. :( i was hoping to have a huge blue spider for display...
woah! wait! dont jump yet one of my girls (i have two) looked just the same as yours one at 4.5-5'' i could see the two prongs (spermathache) the other one which was a moult behind did not have one nor could i see it ( i used a disceting microscope at the univeristy) for the longest time i belived it to be a male, even when i posted up a pic i was told it was a male black patch near the spermathache on vent pic ( dident keep blue color long turned drab with in a month of molt) so i was waiting on it being a male... fast forward on the day it molted it turned stunning and to my amazement it was a girl! while the other one keept its blue color the other one that i assumed to be male with lack of female parts was indeed a girl, dont loose hope ( maybe mine was a special case but still!) id wait till its a bit larger