L. Violaceopes female?

patrick86

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
OK I'm not wearing my glasses but I would swear you can see the spermathecae right where it's supposed to be in the first and second photos. I'm thinking you've got a female winwin.

Hope you don't mind me copying your photo to mark what I'm looking at.

Spermathecae circled in yellow.

Last edited:

kylestl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
OK I'm not wearing my glasses but I would swear you can see the spermathecae right where it's supposed to be in the first and second photos. I'm thinking you've got a female winwin.

I was thinking the same thing patrick! I too would say female.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
The spermatheca on L. violaceopes isnt shaped like that. Its actually supposed to be 2 nodes. Thats a male. You can see the ventral shot looks male too.

Last edited:

winwin

Arachnoknight
woah! wait! dont jump yet one of my girls (i have two) looked just the same as yours one at 4.5-5'' i could see the two prongs (spermathache) the other one which was a moult behind did not have one nor could i see it ( i used a disceting microscope at the univeristy) for the longest time i belived it to be a male, even when i posted up a pic i was told it was a male black patch near the spermathache on vent pic ( dident keep blue color long turned drab with in a month of molt) so i was waiting on it being a male... fast forward on the day it molted it turned stunning and to my amazement it was a girl! while the other one keept its blue color the other one that i assumed to be male with lack of female parts was indeed a girl, dont loose hope ( maybe mine was a special case but still!) id wait till its a bit larger
I'll wait til the next molt or 2 more molts then. :D

I was thinking the same thing patrick! I too would say female.
The spermatheca on L. violaceopes isnt shaped like that. Its actually 2 nodes. Thats a male. You can see the ventral shot looks male too.
That's actually flat but it got dented for some reason, those are not prongs...

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
That's actually flat but it got dented for some reason, those are not prongs...
I know. I was pointing out what someone said looked like spermatheca. Then i said if it was a female it would have 2 nodes. Again, that is a male IMO.

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't have moults from earlier but here's the moult from when my L. v matured. As you can see, rather obvious spermathecae.

patrick86

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the info AgentD006las.

I wasn't sure about the shape/type of spermathecae with these. Is it possible the second one is folded down? Probably not as the thing that is visible is smack dab right in the middle of the epigastric furrow. Now the question is if that isn't a spermathecae then what exactly is it?

Thanks.

Royal_T's

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm not an expert but from what I've read the rust color setation is an early indication of female as oppose to the yellow setation seen in males. This was the method I used to determine that mine was a female before I was able to confirm with a 6" molt (all previous molts were destroyed). Mine had rust color setae until she reached about 7 inches.

Check out this link for more info:

http://sites.google.com/site/asianarboreals/lampropelmaviolaceopes

Last edited:

Moshikoyo

Arachnopeon
I'm not an expert but from what I've read the rust color setation is an early indication of female as oppose to the yellow setation seen in males. This was the method I used to determine that mine was a female before I was able to confirm with a 6" molt (all previous molts were destroyed). Mine had rust color setae until she reached about 7 inches.

Check out this link for more info:

http://sites.google.com/site/asianarboreals/lampropelmaviolaceopes
Firstly, hello, new to this forum. Secondly, is there truth to this claim about the rust colour of the hair? I've seen the link before but thought the yellow sexual dimorph occurred much later. Any thoughts on this little guy/girl...

Thanks for the new found hope. Even if it's foolish!