L. violaceopes enclosure change

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Hi,

I have a 1.5" L. violaceopes in heavy premolt. It will outgrow its cup and I was wondering if I could transfer it directly to arboreal enclosure at that size. Should I let it decide? I have never owned the species before and don't really know how this goes for them. It still burrows so I don't really know about forcing it to climb..

LZ

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Why not give it both? My P.irminia is in that stage where it likes to burrow but also like to climb. So I got a taller top opening storage container. I filled the bottom with a lot of substrate and sank a nice piece of cork half round in the sub leaned on the wall. Added plants and a water dish. This will let it burrow or climb and web if it chooses.

I like the top opening enclosures for species like these as they tend to go down when hiding. I don't as much for species like Avice who IME go up when trying to hide.

Last edited:

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
I would probably set it up as a I would a young pokie. Give it enough substrate to burrow, but also a piece of bark to climb on. Pretty much the same as Trenor explained. Something else I like doing with pokies, is take a small arts & crafts clay pot that's been cut in half with the bottom removed, and gluing that to the bark at an angle to where it's half buried in the sub. Not sure if a lv would use it, but my little pokies definitely do.

Last edited:

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Yeah I thought of giving it both options.. I was just curious if they are like irminias who shift at a relatively large size.. I have a wonderful little arboreal enclosure on standby and will add an inch of two of additional substrate and we'll see what will it choose :) Thanks!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi,

I have a 1.5" L. violaceopes in heavy premolt. It will outgrow its cup and I was wondering if I could transfer it directly to arboreal enclosure at that size. Should I let it decide? I have never owned the species before and don't really know how this goes for them. It still burrows so I don't really know about forcing it to climb..

LZ
'
I've raised these before. If you don't provide climbing media it will keep burrowing, not a problem either, you could provide both and see what it prefers to do at this point. Either way it will be fine, not mission critical.

You may know this species is sexual dimorphic, that's the good news. The bad news, males turn into a drab, ugly olive greenish color. Only females are gorgeous.

Also, upon maturity males will get a massive size gain, with an increase of anywhere from 2" all the way up to a 4" increase in a single molt, so be prepared!

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
'
I've raised these before. If you don't provide climbing media it will keep burrowing, not a problem either, you could provide both and see what it prefers to do at this point. Either way it will be fine, not mission critical.
Thanks! Yeah I've heard they both get quite massive overall.. I just hope the violet tint stays :)

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Miss my LV :(
I need a new one!!!!!
Who has a 0.1 LV i can have lol :)))