L.Tricarinatus looking for some info

MiaPow

Arachnosquire
Going thru the search option I couldn’t find specific information regarding L. Tricarinatus. What is the venom Level? I know they are parthenogenic. How large does an adult get and what’s a good size enclosure also are they communal? What’s the common name?

Last edited:

Car1os

Arachnopeon
I think they're about 1.7 to 2.1 inches big i found it on Wikipedia but im not 100%sure

Car1os

Arachnopeon
And the common name is three keeled bark scorpion but also not 100% sure

GordoOldman

Arachnoknight
There is quite a bit of info out there on this species. Do a google scholar search and enjoy reading through the pdf's available.

MiaPow

Arachnosquire
There is quite a bit of info out there on this species. Do a google scholar search and enjoy reading through the pdf's available.
Yeah well part of this problem is not all the information is reputable such as reading one article says they are from India then I read another article that says they are from Australia. Then another google search turns out they are called red scorpions or marble scorpions, some other site calls them stripped bark scorpions, the list goes on with the disparities. I want to know what I may get myself into if I own one from people who may have or still do keep this species and there personal experience if any. I’m also really interested in the venom level which I can’t find any concrete factual information on. A search result gives me everything from significantly medical to not at all. So I figure why not ask people who have experience with this species and first hand knowledge to share.

GordoOldman

Arachnoknight
I can appreciate that. I recommended google scholar as a search engine instead of google so that you could direct yourself to specific information regarding the binomial you querried about. There has been quite a bit of research on L. tricarinatus. The three mesosomal carina it has provided the species name and distinguish it from other members of the genus.

As far as confusing nomenclature...that is the bane of any common name...and the whole point of binomial and trinomial sytems. When dealing with a Genus widely distributed many common names get applied...and it can get even more confusing...in a case like tbis specifically the Genus Lychas are often called bark scorpions, a moniker applied to the Genus Centruroides, Tityuss and others all over the world. Many species in the Lychas have multiple common names throughout their ranges. It can be even more frustrating for people just starting to learn and looking when you come across species that have been introduced all around the globe. For example Centruroides gracilis, which has been naturalized in places far from the natural range for 300 years.

I hope you understand my original reply was not meant as snarky, but rather a genuine direction meant for you to approach for digging into the species.

Perhaps with a little more time members will post their direct experiences with this species here for you. It is not one of the species I work with.

flyingwambat

Arachnopeon
i have a question why my lychas tricarinatus looks a lot like hottentotta hottentotta is it normal to look like that I've been keeping her in a humid environment for a long time now the guy who sold it to me keeps insisting that is a lychas tricarinatus

Attachments

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
i have a question why my lychas tricarinatus looks a lot like hottentotta hottentotta is it normal to look like that I've been keeping her in a humid environment for a long time now the guy who sold it to me keeps insisting that is a lychas tricarinatus
That is a H. hottentotta.