L. quinquestriatus Burrowed Blocked Entry

Xomb13

Arachnopeon
I have a Death Stalker in a 10 gallon tank with a nice rock hide. Usually, this guy is a good eater and scarfs down his crickets. Today, when I turned on the lights I noticed that not only had it not eaten the cricket, but it blocked entry to the hide. I have seen this behavior in scorpions who were getting ready to molt.

But I thought the scorpion was fully grown? Could there be babies in there, or is this gravid behavior?

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
Do you have a recent picture of it? Did you take the cricket out or crush it's head so it can't hurt it if it decides to molt?

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
It is probably getting ready to molt. They seal up their burrows and their hides prior to molting. You may not see it for days, weeks, or even a few months but it will be fine. Allow it 10-14 days for the new exoskeleton to fully sclerotize before feeding it again.
View attachment 20210718_110610.mp4

Xomb13

Arachnopeon
Well, she was pregnant! She didn't block her hide to molt, she blocked her hide to have young. I removed the hide to check on her today, being ten days. She is covered.

But today marked 10 days. And she has had a cricket roaming around for days, thats why I took it out thinking she was molting. Why hasn't she ate? I crippled two crickets and dropped them in today, here's hoping she doesn't cannibalize her young. Should be getting close to time to take the young ones from her.

So my question is why hasn't she eaten? Should I drop her a dead cricket into her hide? Also, it seems to me like most of these larger breeders just leave their scorpions together, as this is by far not the only pregnant female 9 have gotten. My collection started with 6, now it is at about 70.

This is my first clutch of "hot" babies. Does anyone have any advice going into this? Because I am about to have to take like 10-20 potentially deadly little fellas from their ornery momma.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
Don’t worry if she doesn’t eat, this is not an issue. Just leave her alone. Too much stress may cause her to eat her babies.

Breeders should know when the scorpions are gravid. Unexpected births are usually wild caught females. In general, if they’re sold as adults it’s often wild caught.

When the scorplings are off the mom’s back, they can be separated. Take a small cup and guide them in it with tweezers or a stick, then set them free in their new enclosure (deli cup or something). Do everything with long tools and don’t get your fingers close.

Xomb13

Arachnopeon
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, everyone. It really means a lot, as I feel a little overwhelmed sometimes lol.

I bought my scorpions (6 originally) from reptile shows, pet shops, and even bought a couple online. So far, most have been female because they were pregnant. The reptile show is where I purchased the Death Stalker in question, my cutie that just had the babies. I have spent my free day chasing these little guys around the tank lol. I have 22 babies and there are still a good number just chilling on moms back.

The point is, I started with 6 scorpions, all procured from different places, and 90% of them randomly had babies. Now I have 70 individual scorpions! So, again, I really do appreciate any guidance in any form, your replies here are solid gold for me.

The only one that looked pregnant when I got her was the Asian Forest and the pet shop owner said it was just well fed (lmao!) Idk if I am lucky or what?

I am attaching a picture of an Egyptian Fat Tail I purchased at the same reptile show as the Death Stalker from the same breeder. Is this one pregnant too?? Or is it premolt? Because she's been this way for months now.

Attachments