L.Q maturity

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just wanted to know how many instars it takes to reach maturity in Leiurus quinquestriatus. I have one now at 6I but he (yes he, I actually sexed it :) ) is still very tiny is it a matter of just growing bigger from now on or do I still have a few more molts coming up. I also think it's weird that usually my Lq's molt together on the same day or a day or two apart. The last molt before this one was about a month ago so I tought it was kind of soon. And it molted last week and my other still is I5.

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Scorpions dont grow any bigger once they have reached the final molt, other than the mesosoma expanding via the flexible membranes that exist between the plates. Molting at similar times may be a response to climatic conditions or the fact that they are all of the same birth date. In any population there will be size variation, maybe you just have small individuals.

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
6 molts to maturity and yes they are a smaller species than some. I think about 10 cm is what they top out at for a large female, the males are smaller.