L. Parahybana Wont Stop Climbing!

XzotticAnimal420

Arachnosquire
Hey guys,

I noticed a few days ago that my 10 year old L. Parahybana is in premolt but she has been much more active than usual as well. One thing she is doing that she has NEVER done before is climb the glass walls of her aquarium. She has started climbing all the way to the top and walking upside down on the screen. She is a BIG girl, so she is in a big tank..its long, and I have the substrate about 1/3 to the top...but Ive never had to worry about it being any closer to the top since she has never climbed like this before. Anyways, last night she climbed up into the corner and just stayed stuck to the glass for hours...Im sure she she knows what shes doing and isnt going to just let go..but Im terrified that she is going to fall and hurt herself. She is making me VERY nervous..to the point where I cant even watch her climb..

She has been in that enclosure for a long time..so I cant see this as exploration.

Her substrate and everything is the same as it always is.

I suppose I could take a picture of her enclosure later when I get home if that would help..but any suggestions on how to keep her from climbing in the future would be appreciated. I just would hate for her to fall and hurt herself.
Does anyone think this could have anything to do with her being in premolt?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Add more dirt to the enclosure if you're worried, then you won't be worried. I just did that last night because I think mine is going in promolt as well, since she is climbing the glass like a pokie, walking around and around the glasss lol. I have a plexi glass lid so I don't need to worry about her being on the screen and getting her leg stuck. But since you have a screen lid, i'd be abit worried.

It's amazing to watch her since she's so big. She kicked hairs ferosciously as well while I was adding the dirt, but thankfully I never got hair tagged.

Good luck

Evil Seedlet

Arachnopeon
I don't know if there's anything you can do to actually stop her from climbing, but to reduce the risk of harm from a fall you could add more substrate.. I know it's a large cage but if you fill it up more she won't have as far to fall and she might not want to climb any more since there's not as far to climb any way. Good luck, and I hope she has a perfect molt :)

Edit: CentipedeFreak beat me to it :)

XzotticAnimal420

Arachnosquire
Thanks, Ill add more..but what puzzles me is why she started doing this all of the sudden? And yes, she is moving around the glass like my pokie..its amazing, but so much scarier because of how big she is!

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tarantulas are weird. Maybe your humidity is too high? who knows.
The only reason why mine would start climbing the sides when she is in pre-molt(apparently, first time with her in premolt bahavouir in my care) is if she felt a draft when I opened the cover then she would slowly come visit lol... Drafts make her climb imo, maybe a fan is on somewhere? just assuming here.

felmor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
is L.parahybana a arboreal? or its like other tarantulas hobby. hehe

Ingar

Arachnopeon
My L. parahynbana is also big- 6 years old. She is about 22cm long in leghspan and she often climbs a glass. But usually when I keep some awhile a lights turned on, because its drying out moisture in air... So, maybe this is a reason?
PS: I also surprised that you have so old ladie :eek:- how actually big she is?