l. parahybana sling acts and looks weird... won't eat?

draiads

Arachnopeon
okay so i could be completely overreacting since this is technically my first t but my lp sling hasn't eaten since i got him... 13 days ago. i've tried whole mealworms and half mealworms, both of which he avoids. i've even tried leaving them in there overnight and they are still intact the next morning.

he also looks smaller and less hairy than every other lp sling picture i've seen. he's been mostly silver until today; he now has turned a darker gray except for the lower half of his abdomen which is still a light silver. he was suppose to be 1.5" upon arrival but they sent one WAY smaller, about 1/2" to 3/4".

i keep thinking that maybe he's in premolt, but i'm still worried since lp slings supposedly love to eat and mine won't even consider it. maybe he needs different food? i really wasn't expecting to get a t so small... any help would be great! (the first 2 pics are today, the 3rd is from a week ago)

File_000 (21).jpeg File_002 (6).jpeg File_001 (10).jpeg

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
okay so i could be completely overreacting since this is technically my first t but my lp sling hasn't eaten since i got him... 13 days ago. i've tried whole mealworms and half mealworms, both of which he avoids. i've even tried leaving them in there overnight and they are still intact the next morning.

he also looks smaller and less hairy than every other lp sling picture i've seen. he's been mostly silver until today; he now has turned a darker gray except for the lower half of his abdomen which is still a light silver. he was suppose to be 1.5" upon arrival but they sent one WAY smaller, about 1/2" to 3/4".

i keep thinking that maybe he's in premolt, but i'm still worried since lp slings supposedly love to eat and mine won't even consider it. maybe he needs different food? i really wasn't expecting to get a t so small... any help would be great! (the first 2 pics are today, the 3rd is from a week ago)

View attachment 243726 View attachment 243727 View attachment 243728
The abdomen looks pretty plump to me. I would not be too concerned about it. And if you are saying that the coloration is growing darker than it is a good indication that and upcoming molt is in the not-too-distant future. How are you keeping the spider? Can you take a couple of pictures of the enclosure and such?

draiads

Arachnopeon
The abdomen looks pretty plump to me. I would not be too concerned about it. And if you are saying that the coloration is growing darker than it is a good indication that and upcoming molt is in the not-too-distant future. How are you keeping the spider? Can you take a couple of pictures of the enclosure and such?
thanks so much, that's a huge relief! the enclosure is this small 3oz tubberware container with EcoEarth that i try to keep dampish. there is a corner that's dry and he's dug it up a bit and likes to hide there. i originally had a larger enclosure ready for him but when i saw how small he was i kind of diy-ed it. i put that tiny fake flower in there yesterday to make it a bit less plain :)
File_000 (22).jpeg

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Looks like it's going into premolt however the substrate looks wet... It's waaay to moist.

Let it dry significantly and then only re-moisten half of it when it is almost completely dry.

You could add a small piece of bark as a hide. Also add a water or soda bottle cap for water dish..

sasker

Arachnoprince
Perhaps it is better not to change the substrate yet, as the spider is most likely in premolt. It is better to let the substrate dry out. By the way, I don't see any ventilation holes in the sides of your enclosure. Please make sure there is enough ventilation in the lid of the enclosure to avoid damp, stagnant air. The enclosure will dry out quickly enough by itself if there is enough ventilation. Success!

14pokies

Arachnoprince
true! and thanks, i'll definitely change his substrate and find a small hideout for him. hopefully he'll molt soon and eat so i won't be so stressed over the little guy!
I wouldn't change the substrate just let it dry out.. If your ventilation is adequate it should only take maybe five days to a week.

cold blood

Staff member
Looks like it's going into pre molt
Actually the secpnd pic is of a pre molt sling....the first one is clearly freshly molted.

Op, offer food in a week...the t will need to harden first.

true! and thanks, i'll definitely change his substrate and find a small hideout for him. hopefully he'll molt soon and eat so i won't be so stressed over the little guy!
Again, dont go changing sub, just let it dry.

Also for small sling I rarely offer a hide...IMO its not only unnecessary, it can make it harder to monitor the t.
View media item 38374

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Actually the secpnd pic is of a pre molt sling....the first one is clearly freshly molted.

Op, offer food in a week...the t will need to harden first.

Again, dont go changing sub, just let it dry.

Also for small sling I rarely offer a hide...IMO its not only unnecessary, it can make it harder to monitor the t.
View media item 38374
I see what you meen.. I figured the first two pics where of when she got it and the third in that same post was it now.. Leading me to believe it was in premolt.

In the second post with a pic it does look like it may have molted recently.. I was too distracted by the wet sub to even notice the sling in the corner ;)...

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Doesn't look freshly molted at all to me. Unless it was so fat it couldn't move before. Slings lose a ton of wait per molt. Way too fat IMO.

Let it dry out and wait for a molt.