L.Parahybana not eating???

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Joined
Mar 18, 2003
Messages
718
I have had him/her for alittle over a month still hasnt eatin offerd him crickets again tonight hasnt even touched him he could be about to olt soon because hes brown but not like totally dull brown...hes about 4 inches now what do you guys think??
 

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
Joined
Feb 10, 2003
Messages
1,056
I would guess that your parahybana is in premolt. It could just be full, but mine never ever turns down food unless it's in premolt, so that's my guess.
 

pamandron

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Joined
Sep 23, 2002
Messages
149
Our big girl went about 7 months without eating, and finally one day she started eating again. Joy told me that they fast sometimes and as long as the t looks healthy it isn't anything to worry about. Btw she still hasn't molted. So maybe she just isn't hungry, Pam
 

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joined
Apr 26, 2003
Messages
404
Originally posted by Sean
I have had him/her for alittle over a month still hasnt eatin offerd him crickets again tonight hasnt even touched him he could be about to olt soon because hes brown but not like totally dull brown...hes about 4 inches now what do you guys think??
A possibility is that your Tarantula has problems with his enclosure, possibly a subtrate he doesn't like, wrong temperature or humidity, excessive lighting, wrong sized enclosure. Or you could be giving him food that is too big, or too small. My Seemanni will not eat a medium sized cricket even if its the only food offered to her for days, she'll only go for the large crickets.

Could you describe the enclosure and the temperature, humidity, lighting, etc.?
 

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Joined
Mar 18, 2003
Messages
718
Re: Re: L.Parahybana not eating???

Originally posted by jesses
A possibility is that your Tarantula has problems with his enclosure, possibly a subtrate he doesn't like, wrong temperature or humidity, excessive lighting, wrong sized enclosure. Or you could be giving him food that is too big, or too small. My Seemanni will not eat a medium sized cricket even if its the only food offered to her for days, she'll only go for the large crickets.

Could you describe the enclosure and the temperature, humidity, lighting, etc.?
I really dont have any lighting in his tank, i keep the room temp about 80 f and i keep the humidity between 75-85 i use potting soil with alittle bit off wood chips the brand is called "jungle earth tropical substrate" umm its not like he looks unhealthy his butt is fat and he is very healthy the tank is about 5 gal umm i have a hide and water dissh for him, is there anything im missing or i should take out of his tank?

Sean
 

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 22, 2002
Messages
715
In cases of parahybana, encloser environment doesn't really affect their appetite that much. Just don't keep the substrate too dry or too wet. Always have a dish with water. No artificial lighting is the best way to go. If the tarantula doesn't take food right now, chances are that it is in premolt. Just relax and try to catch the show. Either that or the tarantula is about to pop from excessive feeding.
 

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joined
Apr 26, 2003
Messages
404
Re: Re: Re: L.Parahybana not eating???

Originally posted by Sean
I really dont have any lighting in his tank, i keep the room temp about 80 f and i keep the humidity between 75-85 i use potting soil with alittle bit off wood chips the brand is called "jungle earth tropical substrate" umm its not like he looks unhealthy his butt is fat and he is very healthy the tank is about 5 gal umm i have a hide and water dissh for him, is there anything im missing or i should take out of his tank?

Sean
Then it sounds to me like he's just being a confusing Tarantula and will probably abruptly start eating one day.
 

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Joined
Mar 18, 2003
Messages
718
Thanks guys for your input i guess ill just wait it out ill let you know if anything happens
 

Mike G.

Arachnopeon
Joined
Apr 10, 2003
Messages
23
Sean,
Where did you get the parahybana from??
I also just got a L. parahybana (from e-spiderworld) that is about 4" and brown. Compared to my other two T's that I purchased at the same time, the parahybana is very lethargic and somewhat unresponsive to food. Mine doesn't come out from its hide.
I thought that parahybana's stayed in the open and had large apetites... but what do I know????

Mike G.
 
Top