l. parahybana missing leg re-growth

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
my l. parahybana sling moulted (hooray!) and is now about 3.25 inches. s/he lost a leg prior to her moult last month, and the leg regenerated, but was a lot smaller. for some reason, i automatically expected that leg would always be smaller than the others, even if the difference was slight, after all, the leg was about 1/2 the size of the surviving legs.

all in all, i am totally relieved that all legs are the same size, and more importantly, intact.

i wonder if my l. cristatus' legs (six huge legs and two 1/2-sized, regenerated legs) will also become "normal" sized after the next moult...

i am just happy that all of my t's have all of their legs. and as soon as my 6" a. geniculata moults again and regrows her missing, deformed fang, all of my tarantulas will be NORMAL!

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a lot of tarantulas but thankfully I have never had to deal with any deformities or missing parts. Glad to hear all your spiders are growing back to normal.

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Krystal,
My Chilean Rose, which I got an an adult, was missing a leg entirely. After her first molt with me, she had a small twisted leg that was pretty useless. After the second molt (just 3 months later) the leg is fully functional, but abour 3/4 the size of the others. I've had her going on 2 years, and expect it will be another 6 months before she molts again, at which time, I expect the leg to be fully returned.
Anyway, I think it may take several molts to fully regenerate a leg to full size/function if the tarantula is older.
Secondly, how old is your A. genic? Is it definately a female? I've got a 4 inch male that should be maturing around the summer and I was interested if you wanted to get them together?

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
i blame the high levels of pollution, icky tap water, and country music for my tarantula deformities.

my a. geni is about one now. i'm sure it's really a boy, but i refer to all of my t's a "her" or "she" just because i'm trying to trick myself into thinking they are all female when in fact they are probably all male.

i've never been one of those "sexing" types.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by krystal
i blame the high levels of pollution, icky tap water, and country music for my tarantula deformities.
Yes. Doctors have recently published a study in the Journal of the American Medical Association that correlates Tarantula deformities to Country music. I always had a sneaking suspiction.

Big Dragonfly