L. parahybana macro

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's some of my recently molted parahybaba, its an eating machine, and it's amazing how much it grows at each molt. It went from about 8 to 15 cm in diameter, last molt.

Cheers,

Dan.

Attachments

DiStUrBeD-OnE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, mine need to grow faster:mad:
I see all these huge Parahybanas eating pinkies, and i can fit 5 of mine on my Thumb nail :rolleyes:

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Mine just molted. Went from 6" to 7". Boy has her atitude changed with that last molt! :?

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Mine is going to molt probably in the next week or so:D i cant wait

TheSpiderHouse

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
No, curlys are Brachypelma albopilosum.. these are Lasiodora parahybana, which has a commone name of Brazilian Salmon, or Brazilian Pink, or Santerim Pink (common names create confusion).

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
L parahybana's are my recommendation (and favorite) for anyone who wants a T. blondi (Goliath) size tarantula. They have attitude, grow nearly as a large as a T. blondi and seem to do better in captivity than T. blondi's do.
They also make better display T's than T. blondi's as they most often will sit right out in the open while T. blondi's are much more secretive.

And did i mention that they're a lot cheaper ;)

Jim B.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Palespider
L parahybana's are my recommendation (and favorite) for anyone who wants a T. blondi (Goliath) size tarantula. They have attitude, grow nearly as a large as a T. blondi and seem to do better in captivity than T. blondi's do.
They also make better display T's than T. blondi's as they most often will sit right out in the open while T. blondi's are much more secretive.

Jim B.
Yep. I already got myself an L. parahybana sling myself. Can't wait until she reaches adult size. She's a little sucker right now at 1 1/4 inches (Roughly 3.5 centimeters). But once she matures I bet she'll dwarf one of my cats.

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer

Jim B.

I totally agree these are my favorites hands down, i have a 4 incher that is going to molt anytime in the next week or so(her abdomen is black) what did you mean when yours changed its attitued...as in more aggressive, minew isnt really agressive just very bold sticks out in the open and will chase ater anyhting in its cage, do they get any worse then that, if so its going to make her more intresting:D

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
I happen to think L. parahybana is way more attractive than T. blondi as well. Other than the blondi's size, I really can't find anything interesting about them.

But, that's just me.

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Sean
I totally agree these are my favorites hands down, i have a 4 incher that is going to molt anytime in the next week or so(her abdomen is black) what did you mean when yours changed its attitued...as in more aggressive, minew isnt really agressive just very bold sticks out in the open and will chase ater anyhting in its cage, do they get any worse then that, if so its going to make her more intresting:D

She's more aggressive, and more territorial. She was pretty tame before, only on occassion would she show aggression. Now it's everytime I open her cage, and I'm not one to provoke her!

On a side not, their is a bug zoo near my house in CO and they have a HUGE L. parahybana that they handle all the time. Mine measures 7" in leg span and I swear mine looks half the size of this monster. I'm so envious that they can handle their's, mine won't be having any of that.
The keeper said the owner has been holding her since she was a sling, so maybe I'll start holding my slings now :)

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
l. parahybana is my most favorite.

The giant whiteknee might have been, but it escaped. :(

I just moved mine into a new container..and Im pretty excited on how fast she has grown.

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
The keeper said the owner has been holding her since she was a sling, so maybe I'll start holding my slings now :)
heh, good luck! i used to hold my parah when she was a sling all the time, but after her last moult (and a few quick taps on my fingers, just to warn me) she has officially become a tarantula that i will not hold.

which is cool because by not holding her, i don't have to worry about her falling to her death or running up my arm and biting my head.

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Heh, I know I'm dreaming. I actually don't even hold my roseas very often. Not really a keeper who likes to handle his T's.

Jim B.

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
okay, i have a question for all you guys...please have patience with a true wimp. :)

what's the fastest-growing most docile T you can think of?

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by skadiwolf
okay, i have a question for all you guys...please have patience with a true wimp. :)

what's the fastest-growing most docile T you can think of?
The Chaco Golden Knee (Grammastola aureostriata) is known for it's docile temperment and reaches the 8" mark!

swiftinverts.com has some 1/2" slings :)

Jim B.