L. Parahybana Fall

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Okay, so I did something really stupid last night. I was opening the container that I had been keeping the spider in slipped out of my hands. The Container (a pill bottle) fell to the floor and the sling, about .75' in, fell out of the container and onto the floor from about 3 feet. I was amazed that the sling lived and it started to walk around on the floor. When I woke up the morning I felt that it might be dead because of the fall, but I guess the fall didn't hurt it because it was fine this morning. Are these spiders pretty tough when it comes to stuff like this or am I just lucky? If I get any more trouble out of this sling I don't know what I'm going to do. It was shipped to me missing a leg and over spring break it squeezed out of an air hole and I found it running around on my desk when I returned. I feel that I have been pretty lucky to still have this thing, I hope that it can keep it up cause I think I might name this one lucky.

hcsk8ter

Arachnopeon
Slings are tiny and more than likely you had the substrate built up which acted as a shock absorber. Slings are more likely to die from a bad molt than dropping a vial.

Regarding the air holes:

Make sure they aren't big enough for the T to fit through.

Good Luck. Glad to hear the sling's ok.

midnight_maiden

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
WHEW! I'm glad to hear the little one is ok.

I had the same thing happen to me back in January. My boyfriend was feeding his B. auratum and he knocked the pill bottle with my little Nh. chromatus in it off the top shelf on my bookcase. He said he tried to catch it but missed and it bounced of of the second shelf also. This one unfortunately didn't make it. It was dead by the time I got home from work. I had only had the sling for a week and a half but I still cried. :( i hate to see anything die.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WHEW! I'm glad to hear the little one is ok.

I had the same thing happen to me back in January. My boyfriend was feeding his B. auratum and he knocked the pill bottle with my little Nh. chromatus in it off the top shelf on my bookcase. He said he tried to catch it but missed and it bounced of of the second shelf also. This one unfortunately didn't make it. It was dead by the time I got home from work. I had only had the sling for a week and a half but I still cried. :( i hate to see anything die.
I hear you, I hate to see anything pass away as it's the sight of seeing the loss of life that makes me fee so bad...:eek: To the OP, I'm glad to hear that it survived, looks like this T in particular is destined to be with you. :D

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Tiny slings are supposedly a little more resistant to falls because they have so little weight/mass. If it were bigger, it probably wouldn't have made it. Lucky indeed! :eek:

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
lucky would be a very good name for this little ( t ) and i hope all goes well for you and your ( t )

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Slings are tiny and more than likely you had the substrate built up which acted as a shock absorber.QUOTE]

I felt that I was really lucky but what amzed me most and I may have not made it clear but the sling came out of the vial as it was headed to the floor. So the sling landed on its own. I was really amazed by this. The sling is still fine, the happily ate small cricket today. Thanks for all the comments though.