L. Parahybana caved itself in

Jonnyrogs22

Arachnopeon
Hi guys, new to the forum here. I have an L. Parahybana that caved itself into its hide over two weeks ago and still hasn't come out. Is this normal? He's only about 1/4" (or at least he was when he buried himself) I'm not sure if this is a mooring process or what, just making sure it's normal behaviour. Thanks!

Walker253

Arachnobaron
They can dig out. Just don't pack it down, even inadvertently. That small you could risk hurting it if you tried to did it out.

hamhock 74

Arachnobaron
It could be moulting or it could want privacy. Either way just leave it alone; it got itself in, it can get itself out.

Jason B

Arachnosquire
By caving in I'm guessing you ment it blocked the entrance off its hide off with substrate, its most likely getting ready to molt, it can be in there for an extended amount of time and the worst thing you can do is get so stressed about it that you end up tring to dig it out while its molting. Ts are very fragile during and right after a molt. Make sure its water dish is full and don't worry about it, with its current size it shouldn't be to long of a process, but adults can often spend a few months in pre-molt.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Sealed itself in its burrow or caved its burrow in? Big difference :) I've not heard of sealing a burrow called "caving"...clarification please.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Can't imagine anyone would wait 2 weeks following a cave-in before taking action /asking for help for such a tiny sling. (Sure hope not!)
I'm guessing OP did mean his sling has closed itself off in his burrow.
So, it probably means pre-moult (But for a sling that size, OP probably hasn't had it for long -- so sling could just be seeking some security in a deep burrow in his new digs).
Best of luck OP. This one sounds like a patience waiting game.
Hopefully your sling will resurface soon, hungry and a bit larger post-moult! :)

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
At this point in my life, after being on the internet for 20+ years, I don't need to imagine much. In 13 years on this forum I've seen some stuff that is mind-boggling and not in a good way. I'm sure they mean sealed off but just wanted to be sure :)

Last edited:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Sealed itself in its burrow or caved its burrow in? Big difference :) I've not heard of sealing a burrow called "caving"...clarification please.
At this point in my life, after being on the internet for 20+ years, I don't need to imagine much. In 13 years on this forum I've seen some stuff that is mind-boggling and not in a good way. I'm sure they mean sealed off but just wanted to be sure.
Nah, I agree that clarification is needed. Just poster seemed fairly sincere, so I doubted he's waited 2 weeks to mention his concerns.
But hey -- not a lot surprises me anymore either. :(
And I have been wrong before, and will definitely be wrong again. lol

Jason B

Arachnosquire
At this point in my life, after being on the internet for 20+ years, I don't need to imagine much. In 13 years on this forum I've seen some stuff that is mind-boggling and not in a good way. I'm sure they mean sealed off but just wanted to be sure :)
he also said he buried himself in this way, could be a language barrier of some kind, considering he's from canada, english might not be his first language or he possibly lacked the terminology and attempted to describe it.

I could be wrong but I also don't think he was expecting his tarantula to anchor a boat when he mentioned "mooring process"

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
he also said he buried himself in this way, could be a language barrier of some kind, considering he's from canada, english might not be his first language or he possibly lacked the terminology and attempted to describe it.
Does seem caved is simply meant as burrowed.

I could be wrong but I also don't think he was expecting his tarantula to anchor a boat when he mentioned "mooring process"
And a great loss to the hobby it is for Ts to lack such mooring abilities. :rolleyes:

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
Sounds like a pre molt. Leave it alone and it will reappear larger. Whenever it decides to.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Sounds like a pre molt. Leave it alone and it will reappear larger. Whenever it decides to.
All posts are leading to the same explanation, the T is either in pre - moult or it just needed a bit of security(privacy) either way I wouldn't be worried it'll come out when it's ready, my sling has burrowed (O . Schioedtei) and I don't expect to see it for quite a while, it was eating fine, webbing etc. It has just moulted last night, but I still am not expecting to see it on terra firma any time soon, hope OP's sling is OK.

Jonnyrogs22

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the replies guys! I didn't wait two weeks before bringing it up. I've already done tons of research and was pretty sure it was normal anyway but just wanted to confirm. Sure... if you prefer the word "sealed" then feel free to go with that. It basically just covered the entrance to its hide and don't worry, I wasn't planning on digging it up anyway. I'm thinking it is likely a molt but am just surprised it is taking so long. Yes, my apologies, I meant moulting process. I was in a rush when I typed that up. English is my first language here in the good ol' land of Maple Syrup and apologies.

Attachments

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Hahaha, well, you must've really been in a rush :p Like two different people lol
Yeah, it can take a while sometimes and longer as they get larger. I have spiders that go in to premolt and I won't see them for 3-5 months :)

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
Yeah, It'll make it's grand entrance when it's ready. They are garbage disposals when it comes to food so it won't take very long for them to venture out. My first LP I raised from a tiny sling. One thing I noticed is that it burrowed and hid more when it was little. As an adult, She is almost always out in the open. You will see it more and more as it grows.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Yep, my 13 year old Lp has always been out and about pretty often. Recently it's excavated under its hide quite a bit and stays in there a fair amount but I see her almost daily for long periods. I have a one year old that just molted to about 5" (12-13cm) and it's quite skittish and likes to hide in a burrow. Or did before this molt. Maybe its behavior will change now. They definitely get bolder the larger they get. Great Ts.

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
I think Lp's are great tarantulas to keep. I have 80+ T's in my collection and watch my Lp probably the most still.