L. malayanus SLINGS!!!

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
do you plan on selling any of the slings? I'd really like to try raising them communally as well... but I can't afford to buy them as adults...

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
woohoo! Congrats! That is so exciting! Good job! :clap:
I definitely put your male in with this female, so there's a chance he was the dad. Just don't know for sure, as there were other males in there before him.

I'll definitely be selling some of these and sending dragontears some for free. I just need to figure out what to charge and make sure that they are well started.

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sorry to bring back an old thread. I just pulled 63 babies out of my communal enclosure and there were more that I could not get at right away.

mike

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
That's great! :clap:

Let us know how they do. My first group is doing great with a high percentage burrowed and eating. :cool: The second group never burrowed and I moved as many as I could catch and they still didn't burrow or appear to eat. I think they're just about all dead. :(

RodG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Congratulations:clap: Please keep us posted and more photos, definitely more photos:D

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Anyone want to guess how long it will take these to mature? {D

Anthony Straus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats!

Hopefully we'll hear of even more breeding in the near future. This is such a beautiful species and everyone should have at least 1 trap door!

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well, I check in again on the ones I moved, and many have now made burrows! I'm so glad to have the possibility of two lines. Trades should help as well. Of course, these are so ancient, isolated, and close packed in nature, I wonder if genetic diversity is so much of an issue with them?

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Of course, these are so ancient, isolated, and close packed in nature, I wonder if genetic diversity is so much of an issue with them?
Anyone have an answer on that? If I find five inverts in one large area and try to breed them, how much of a role does genetics play?

ErgoProxy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Anyone have an answer on that? If I find five inverts in one large area and try to breed them, how much of a role does genetics play?
I don't think Joachim Haupt's monograph on the group contains information like that, but it has ecological information (but someone with a copy may be able to confirm this...as I haven't gotten one yet :( )

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well I have many more in the second enclosure that have burrowed and are feeding than I first thought! It just took a little while for them to do their thing I guess. So now I have three enclosures of these. :D

bluefrogtat2

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
nice

congrats on all.
i would love to have a few of these slings.
very nice looking.
andy

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Long read. :rolleyes: ...:D

:worship:

Might of missed it, but since you seem to be discovering more ...can/will you venture a guess to the sling count?
I have a feeling that they will be fairly slow growers. ...probably not at first though.

ErgoProxy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Getting in line

For some of those slings when they are old enough to ship. I have 3 "sub-adult" (well at least not adult male) Liphistius that were sold as L. murphyorum but most likely are juvie L. malayanus (have to wait for a few more molts to see if there is a size increase and color darkening, though one was fairly dark).

Hopefully going to be breeding these some day myself. Love these pet "flaps"...

{D

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
buthus, these are growing fairly fast ATM. Not only can I see that they've gotten larger, but I've found many exuvia; which I'll post a pic of soon. I too get the feeling that they will slow way down in growth.

I just counted 77 burrows in the more successful container. Some probably don't have anybody home, but I'm sure I missed some too. Every time I feed, I see them popping out of burrows that are more inconspicuous. Some don't have visible lines for instance.

I bet I have around 25 for the other two enclosures combined, maybe more, so I can't imagine I have less than 100 slings all told.

In some spots they are really packed in tight. I've even seen two come out of the same burrow! Be interesting to see what happens as they grow.

I need to get my son over here with his HD CC before he goes back to college, and get a video of feeding time. It's great entertainment!

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
buthus, these are growing fairly fast ATM. Not only can I see that they've gotten larger, but I've found many exuvia; which I'll post a pic of soon. I too get the feeling that they will slow way down in growth.

I just counted 77 burrows in the more successful container. Some probably don't have anybody home, but I'm sure I missed some too. Every time I feed, I see them popping out of burrows that are more inconspicuous. Some don't have visible lines for instance.

I bet I have around 25 for the other two enclosures combined, maybe more, so I can't imagine I have less than 100 slings all told.

In some spots they are really packed in tight. I've even seen two come out of the same burrow! Be interesting to see what happens as they grow.

I need to get my son over here with his HD CC before he goes back to college, and get a video of feeding time. It's great entertainment!
Sorry, I just havnt been able to keep up with the forum thing lately. :wall:
Jeese this has probably been answered already ...but when do u think they will need to be separated?
Curious... in the wild, are they finding these in vertical banks, lesser inclines, or where?

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry, I just havnt been able to keep up with the forum thing lately. :wall:
Jeese this has probably been answered already ...but when do u think they will need to be separated?
Curious... in the wild, are they finding these in vertical banks, lesser inclines, or where?
I haven't found any on vertical surfaces so far (Or anywhere else for that matter) :( )..

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
buthus, I'm pretty sure this particular variety is found on mossy inclines.

As for separating, I can only guess. I've seen these share holes, and when the second batch wasn't burrowing and I decided to move them, I found 30 of them all huddled together! So, it doesn't appear that cannibalism is much in their nature.

They are burrowed so close together in places, that someone will have to move at some point. I imagine in the wild one or two out compete their close neighbors to claim that little spot. And, it's also my understanding that these guys are found in dense close populations as adults (with juveniles in-between I imagine) in the wild.

Of course I'm hoping to do a little better than "in the wild" as far as survival rate goes, so probably at some point somebody will have to move. I'm thinking that will be my chance to collect them. At that point, I want to set up a nice display terrarium, and hopefully sell/give some away.

All this speculation makes me worry about how they are collected... That's the reason I personally couldn't have justified keeping them without also attempting to breed them. Hopefully through our efforts plenty of CB specimens will be available in the future.

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have scoured mossy inclines with no results (By the way, these are also L. trapdoors) and I have to say that you could tear up a whole forest looking for them if you didn't know exactly where they are and that's probably what the locals do, unfortunately. That's why I want to find them and breed them in captivity so that their practises become obsolete. ;)