L. mactans Feasting (Video Clip)

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
nice! always fun to watch, isn't it?! when they are throwing their sticky web over the prey, it's fascinating to see the sticky globs:

oh, and you should see the sheets that 13-guttatus throw over their prey!! :eek::eek: it's insane!

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
That is a cool vid, davisfam! Widowman10, awesome pic!

I love to watch my L. geometricus in action! :D S.

davisfam

Arachnoknight
A big THANKS to both of you for the nice comments, we appreciate it. Once again, sorry about the quality! :8o I'll work on finding a new camera, LOL!

Yes, watching these little women work is beyond amazing as well as entertaining. I find it soo neat how widows are such perfectionists when wrapping up their prey or just making new webbing in their "homes". Our L. mactans stops to clean herself constantly and refuses to have ANY substrate in her web which is an often occurrence when dragging up meals from ground level. She is such a little prissy gal and I love it! Haha :D

Widowman10, the webs do blow my mind when it comes to their durability and sticky force. I can't believe how strong their webs are, heck, I have trouble pulling ANY object out of those webs, if stuck. Thank goodness for widows dropping their prey to ground level; much easier for cleaning! :p Do you happen to have any neat videos?! I just love all your information! ;)

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
Do you happen to have any neat videos?!
don't think so aside from 1 or 2 lame quick ones. i really should have video-taped or took pictures of some of the stuff i've tried (like the vibrations testing) for documentation sake.

davisfam

Arachnoknight
don't think so aside from 1 or 2 lame quick ones. i really should have video-taped or took pictures of some of the stuff i've tried (like the vibrations testing) for documentation sake.
Ohh man, I completely forgot to tell you about something. Whoops! Well, our L. geometricus passed away last week about 7-10 days after making a final egg sac. We were sad but we knew she was a MF and would pass this winter at some point. :(

Although, here's the kicker.. remember previously, when I mentioned something about that "white fuzz" growing over the other egg sacs she had made before? Well, her final egg sac has NOT formed this white fuzz and it's also gotten a little bit darker in color. After doing some research, we found that the final egg sac may not 'hatch' until AFTER winter, is this true?! Could this egg sac be fertile unlike the others?! :?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
kept at normal house temperatures, the sac will probably hatch within 25-45 days (i know a big range, but i don't know how warm you keep your house :p). it could be fertile, you have to see how dark it gets in a few weeks! :clap: