~ L.Klugi ~

Luminary

Arachnopeon
Does anyone out there own a L.Klugi? Do they have the same temperment as an L.P.? I have read articles with conflicting info.

Niffarious

Arachnoknight
I have one of each, and the L. klugi is much like my LP. My LP is basically a homicidal rage machine - the other day she latched onto my tongs and wouldn't stop striking them. Attempts to enter her enclosure are met with strikes...there's no threat posturing, just attack! Sometimes I think they're from that alternate evil dimension on South Park where all the pets are evil killers.

I also have a P. irminia who is calm and gentle. So either I live in opposite land, or as mentioned above...personalities in spiders can vary considerably.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
I have a juvie LP and L,Klugi, they both have good temperament just now, but that doesn't mean it wont change or stay the same over the next molt or so, no one can give you personal info on any species, that's why care sheets etc, are just an overview of an entire species ie docile/deffencive but never an individual T because each T has it's own personality that may vary over its lifetime.

Luminary

Arachnopeon
How do they have personalities, when all that I've read states that they don't have a proper brain?

coldvaper

Arachnosquire
It seems like you haven't kept Ts very long. Ts will exhibit different behaviors from individual to individual.

Luminary

Arachnopeon
You're right. I'm very new to this. I do have years of experience with snakes though :)

---------- Post added 10-03-2012 at 06:33 PM ----------

I often have this argument with people ,mostly family,who say animals don't think or feel...they only go off of instinct. That
has been proven false a number of times with dogs & cats who will go out of their way to help a human or another animal. My husband tells me that lobsters can't think or feel pain, therefore it doesn't bother him to boil them alive. Personally I've always had the opinion that as long as a being has SOME form of a brain, they can think & don't just go about in a robotic fashion.
This may sound conflicting with my previous comment, but that was me hoping someone would
maybe explain HOW they function mentally , or give an example from experience.

Last edited:

Alltheworld601

Arachnoangel
I have one of each, and the L. klugi is much like my LP. My LP is basically a homicidal rage machine - the other day she latched onto my tongs and wouldn't stop striking them. Attempts to enter her enclosure are met with strikes...there's no threat posturing, just attack! Sometimes I think they're from that alternate evil dimension on South Park where all the pets are evil killers.

I also have a P. irminia who is calm and gentle. So either I live in opposite land, or as mentioned above...personalities in spiders can vary considerably.
We just watched that episode last night!!

Sorry, that had nothing to do with this post. I have nothing useful to contribute. I am just still laughing, because that episode is fresh in my memory.

Edit: now i DO have something to add.

I am in agreement with the OP on the subject of tarantulas, and really anything living, having more of a consciousness than we give them credit for. I will always promote this idea because I think human beings often classify something as being incapable of cognition when their cognition is in a sense we cannot identify with.

Last edited:

ragnarokxg

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am in agreement with the OP on the subject of tarantulas, and really anything living, having more of a consciousness than we give them credit for. I will always promote this idea because I think human beings often classify something as being incapable of cognition when their cognition is in a sense we cannot identify with.
I am in agreement here. I know my two big T's have very unique characters.

Akai

Arachnobaron
I've had slings grow up from the same hatching and they all have displayed different personalities and behaviors as they age. Some are docile and others are the spawn from hell. It really is a crap shoot. lol

taraction

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i've held a l. klugi sling at my lps and it was sweet as a kitten, but then again i've also kept a juvenile male lp that was so mean and nasty that i didn't hesitate one bit to swap him for a juvie p. irminia. it was also mean and nasty but at least it had the courtesy of throwing up a threat pose as opposed to straight up attacking.

i also traded away a female a. genic recently, because i couldn't deal with the contract we signed where everything that falls into her tank belongs to her and the only barter she'll accept is fingers. at one point i had shoulder-length hair, and one time a lock dangled in front of her while cleaning her cage, and she leaped forward and started gnawing on it. i'll admit it: i shrieked like a manly 7-year old girl.

my other female genic just kicks hairs occasionally.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tarantulas are purely instinct-driven animals and react to stimuli. The more you work with them, the more predictable they become and the more you realize that you basically "control" them when manipulating them.
"Personality" in tarantulas is a difficult topic. I, personally,find it to be either a case of minor biodiversity, or inconsistency in stimuli/environmental conditions in captivity. We don't actually know, though, but that is no reason to assume they're more complicated than they are, if you ask me.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Tarantulas are purely instinct-driven animals and react to stimuli. The more you work with them, the more predictable they become and the more you realize that you basically "control" them when manipulating them.
"Personality" in tarantulas is a difficult topic. I, personally,find it to be either a case of minor biodiversity, or inconsistency in stimuli/environmental conditions in captivity. We don't actually know, though, but that is no reason to assume they're more complicated than they are, if you ask me.
Maybe I'm wrong, but if you compare two T's from the same sac, same age and reacting different to the same stimuli, personally I -do- call that personality. The instinct is the same, how they react however isn't which leads to "personality" as in "everyone's different" = T's, too! ;) I wouldn't call them complicated, but since they do react different, you'll get to know your T's over the time. Predictable + T's is something I wouldn't sign outright - there's nothing to argue about the fact that a keeper gets used to his T's and probably vice versa up to a certain point - however that doesn't mean you can really predict them always - like you said: They're purely instinct-driven after all. It's probably just the fact that they get used to certain sounds, vibrations, smells whatnot over time and don't consider it a threat anymore? Purely an observation I made with mine...

Lenxx

Arachnopeon
This is my thoughts as well.
We dont need to be humanizing the animals, or the aracknids. They are not human.
That however, does not mean they have not their own arackind consciousness.

Humanbeeings need to accept we can not understand all things... our brain is not buildt the same, simple as that.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
I agree our T's do go purely by instincts, but they still have a nural network that acts like a brain, ie do I hide, need a drink, need food etc, that gives them pain receptors and sort of feelings that gives them an individual personality, just working alongside there instincts,(like us) we think we are the smarter beings and in many ways that is true, but T's have abilities we could only dream of that's why they have survived for hundreds of millions of years. sorry for rambling on.

goodoldneon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think “personality” is too strong a word to use when defining tarantula behavior. Each individual differs, the differences, however, are fenced in by certain, fairly strict parameters. Some individuals (within the same species) are more or less aggressive than others, more or less active, display differing feeding responses, etc – however, you will never come across a tarantula that behaves like a bird or a fish or a monkey. No one will ever say, “Look at that tarantula, it’s trying to fly” – why, because flight is not a behavior found within in its programming’s toolbox.

Most B. smithis are docile, but some are not – some burrow, some do not, but even if you were to study the behavior of millions upon millions of smithis, you will never come across an individual that attempts to behave like, say, a chimpanzee. If a tarantula has a personality, I would say it has the personality of a tarantula – an individual’s behavior may vary, but only a little more or less than the species’ norm - i.e. predefined parameters - i.e - instincts.

Niffarious

Arachnoknight
I think “personality” is too strong a word to use when defining tarantula behavior. Each individual differs, the differences, however, are fenced in by certain, fairly strict parameters. Some individuals (within the same species) are more or less aggressive than others, more or less active, display differing feeding responses, etc – however, you will never come across a tarantula that behaves like a bird or a fish or a monkey. No one will ever say, “Look at that tarantula, it’s trying to fly” – why, because flight is not a behavior found within in its programming’s toolbox.

Most B. smithis are docile, but some are not – some burrow, some do not, but even if you were to study the behavior of millions upon millions of smithis, you will never come across an individual that attempts to behave like, say, a chimpanzee. If a tarantula has a personality, I would say it has the personality of a tarantula – an individual’s behavior may vary, but only a little more or less than the species’ norm - i.e. predefined parameters - i.e - instincts.
This can be said about most mammals though, if you are talking about things that extreme. You won't see a lion trying to fly or acting like a chimpanzee either. You won't see a dolphin trying to walk or act like a chimp, etc.
I don't think anyone has said personality is a spider going against what spiders are supposed to do, in fact your statement is exactly what people HAVE been speculating - that dramatic differences in reaction to stimuli exist within a single species.
Some people have an LP docile enough to try and handle, if they so choose. Mine would probably try to eat my face.

Personality is described as a difference in response pattern. It's not another term for intelligence, capacity to learn, or anything else. By this definition, tarantulas have different personalities. In saying that no one is denying that they are instinct driven and vastly different from vertebrates.