L. hesperus eggsack :D!

SnakeManJohn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Earlier I cleaned out her enclosure, and gave her a nice wicked root looking branch. Just now checked on her, and she has made a partial sack so far! I think she's resting right now, she stopped webbing for some reason. I though something was going on because she done some heavy webbing before she laid the sack. I can see small eggs but her face is in the sack. I hope she's not eating them, I can't really tell if she is. Do widows eat their own eggs or stop half way through to take a break? :S This will be my first sack from anything and I really want this :(

SnakeManJohn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:( :( :( I think she ate the eggs. She is smaller..so that tells me that she laid the eggs, and there's like yellow goo looking stuff inside the half of eggsack, and she had her face in it. Dangit..I really really wanted a sack from a widow :(

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
after mating, widows lay eggsacs for life, so you'll probably get more chances. try taking it out as soon as she makes it.

also, like any other spider doing anything, they'll pause for a short while while making a sac if they're disturbed... if that's what you meant.

also... pics?

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The yellow goo is the liquid that surrounds the eggs. Keep an eye out, she might just be taking a break. I have raised many widows and have never had one eat a sac before. If you look really closely, you should see some eggs just visible in the goo so I would let her do her thing. I'd love to know how it turns out.

SnakeManJohn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Shew. I hope so! I will post pictures later, I don't want to disturb her at all..I want this sack to be successful. I'm so excited! How much do people buy widows for, and do they sell quick?

Thanks for everyones input.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Shew. I hope so! I will post pictures later, I don't want to disturb her at all..I want this sack to be successful. I'm so excited! How much do people buy widows for, and do they sell quick?

Thanks for everyones input.
widow sacs are not as difficult/delicate/dud-ful as T sacs, I think (I haven't had a T sac though :) ) and one female lays so many each one isn't as big a deal.

I don't know how much people buy widows for, but I know people offer slings for $1-10 each.

Last edited:

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Looking at your post times, you should know by now if she has a sac or not. It usually only takes them an hour or two to make one. Check in there with her and maybe you'll have a sac. As for price? I really have no idea. I posted mine at $10 a few minutes ago but I'll probably end up dropping that price. Whatever the case, good luck and I hope something comes out of it. Keep me posted

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Never witnessed any of mine eating sacs and I have raised many.
Not much of a market for hesps/macs. You'll enjoy the experience more if you concentrate on getting a small # of hardy girls from the brood... though, attempting to separate and raise many slings can/will teach u a lot about the species.

SnakeManJohn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
UPDATE:
I'm assuming there's about 15 or less eggs in the small silky sack, it's not as much as I was hoping but it's better than none. I won't sell any of these ones though. I'm going to keep them and see what they turn out to look like when they're matured.

Now, the questions:
How long until the babies mature?
How often do the babies die?
How do I feed them, do I just throw in one cricket for everyone to nibble on?
When should I separate them into their individual vials?
When they are in separate vials, how do I feed them, do I throw a pinhead in each one?
How long until I feed them after their in their vials?

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm assuming there's about 15 or less eggs in the small silky sack, it's not as much as I was hoping but it's better than none.
are you sure that's all that's left? that's a tiny fraction of the normal number...

SnakeManJohn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm sure..the sack isn't even close to the size of the L. hesperus as I seen in other pictures, this sack is way smaller than a dime :(

I'll post a picture in a bit, I keep forgetting to lol

Now, the questions:
How long until the babies hatch out of the egg sack?
How long until the babies mature?
How often do the babies die?
How do I feed them, do I just throw in one cricket for everyone to nibble on?
When should I separate them into their individual vials?
When they are in separate vials, how do I feed them, do I throw a pinhead in each one?
How long until I feed them after their in their vials?