Kukulcania Refusing Food

Sluggo

Arachnopeon
Maybe you could get a female for him!
I did think about it!! :D
I would try, but I'm so nervous with how teensy the babies are! Feeding all of those little tiny mouths!!!
Plus, if no one wanted them, I'd end up with a billion little babies (which is no complaint of mine, but rather of the available space I have in my tiny apartment!) since I can't release them where I live as they aren't native.
I am on the hunt for a female though! I plan to snag one once my little boy Panso here kicks the bucket. I'm going to try to feed him again soon! I've tried to feed him once so far which he was not interested in, and even if he never eats again I can't help but try!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I would try, but I'm so nervous with how teensy the babies are! Feeding all of those little tiny mouths!!!
Kuk slings are actually pretty easy to deal with due to the unusual level of care that the mother provides. For several weeks after emerging, the slings live in their mother's web, and she'll let them feed on her kills. (This is probably because the slings aren't even capable of spinning their cribellate silk until the third instar or so.)

So whenever I've had Kuk slings, I just provide a big meal for the mother to kill, and the slings would all glom onto that.

Once the mother starts acting like the slings are annoying her, it's time to remove the slings. (The easiest way to accomplish this is to rehouse the mother and then separate the slings.)

Sluggo

Arachnopeon
Kuk slings are actually pretty easy to deal with due to the unusual level of care that the mother provides. For several weeks after emerging, the slings live in their mother's web, and she'll let them feed on her kills. (This is probably because the slings aren't even capable of spinning their cribellate silk until the third instar or so.)

So whenever I've had Kuk slings, I just provide a big meal for the mother to kill, and the slings would all glom onto that.

Once the mother starts acting like the slings are annoying her, it's time to remove the slings. (The easiest way to accomplish this is to rehouse the mother and then separate the slings.)
That's really neat, honestly! I am not super experienced with arachnids, but from what I understand most spiders do not make the most nurturing of mothers haha!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
That's really neat, honestly! I am not super experienced with arachnids, but from what I understand most spiders do not make the most nurturing of mothers haha!
Most spiders either just hide the egg sac and move on or guard it until the slings emerge. Wolf spiders let their slings ride on their backs for a few days.

Sluggo

Arachnopeon
Most spiders either just hide the egg sac and move on or guard it until the slings emerge. Wolf spiders let their slings ride on their backs for a few days.
That's so incredibly cool! I know that I have seen wolf spiders carrying their egg sacs with them before but I didn't know they let their babies piggyback on them!
I'm debating seeing if anyone would be interested in Panso for breeding purposes once the weather gets a bit cooler if he lives that long! He's started wandering around a ton at night and I feel bad listening to him bump around in the night when I'm trying to fall asleep.
I tried to feed him a small cricket but he did not seem interested in the slightest, so I may try again in a few days. He hasn't eaten since mid-early June.