Kukulcania hibernalis

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Anyone have tips on keeping Kukulcania hibernalis? How big should the enclosure be? What kind of substrate should be used? Would these do better with misting or a water dish? Are they good eaters? Are they super fast? I also see many people handle these, are they docile? Thanks guys.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They don't need a large enclosure, you can keep on in a 1/2 gallon enclosure with a toilet paper tube, they'll make a web in there. They don't need a water dish, just mist to get a few drops every bit. They are great waters and don't mind going after larger food. They are very very docile, weak venom, and their fangs are very small.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Would a small Exo Terra breeding box work or would it be too big? Do they spend most of their time in their web or do they like to wander? How long do they live?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've had a K. arizonica for close to 10 years now and she's still doing fine. All my K. hibernalis were very long lived as well (all still alive as far as I know after trading them). If you give them more spots they can web they'll branch out a bit, otherwise they'll be happy in something small. I think I used to keep mine in 32 oz deli cups.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I've read about one person who had a female Kukulcania for 17 years at least.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've never been lucky enough (yet!) to catch a female. I've kept the males briefly - for a few weeks or months before releasing back into the wild. They are docile but prone to wander, so while they can be safely handled, you should do it close to the floor or other surface in case they make a break for it. The females (that I've observed in the wild) tend to stick close to their webs and dart into the crevices pretty quickly when disturbed, so they'll do well in a small spot as long as they have somewhere small and dark where they can make a retreat. Males, on the other hand, are typically found out wandering around, looking for a lady friend. They do appreciate a bit more space in an enclosure so they can roam around a bit. I've kept them in small Kritter Keepers, but they eventually wear a track around the perimeter of the enclosure from the constant circling. (That's why I've never kept them long-term.)

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Anyone have tips on keeping Kukulcania hibernalis? How big should the enclosure be? What kind of substrate should be used? Would these do better with misting or a water dish? Are they good eaters? Are they super fast? I also see many people handle these, are they docile? Thanks guys.
Kukulcania hibernalis (or "Kuks" as I affectionately call them) is extremely easy to care for and not picky about setups or prey.

I have successfully kept Kuks in glass pickle jars, though I prefer containers with better access and ventilation, such as Kritter Keepers. (If you give them more space, they do eventually web it.)

The enclosure does not need substrate, just anchor points for webbing (and ideally a crevice or other protected area in which to hide). Materials they seem especially fond of "in nature" are wood, masonry, vinyl siding, corrugated metal, and even cardboard. (I don't use cardboard in my enclosures, however, because it gets soggy when wet.)

They tolerate a very wide range of temperatures, as they live year-round in areas that see lows below freezing highs in the upper 90s. Room temperature is perfect -- not too hot, not too cold.

Kuks take a long time to settle in, as the process they use to make webs is slow and laborious. (Their silk comes out in many fine strands, which they fray with their hind legs so that it is mechanically sticky without any need for glue.) Do not feed them until they have built a decent starter web, as they don't like to hunt without the benefit of their webs.

You can feed them just about any insect, although I avoid stinging insects like wasps, bees, and ants. I also usually avoid beetles with hard shells and stink bugs (because they give off an acrid smell when attacked). Things that flutter or jump elicit a particularly entertaining feeding response.

Being long-lived and having very slow metabolisms, they do not need to be fed often; I judge by their abdomens. (I feed my adult females about every other month, and they are still fatter than wild Kuks.) Mature females molt about once a year. (Mature males abandon their webs, lose all interest in feeding, and spend the rest of their days looking for females.)

Kuks don't need a water dish and seem to get most if not all of their water from their prey. (I find them in places where they can't possible access rain, for example.) However, you can supplement their water by dribbling some water into the web.

Do they spend most of their time in their web or do they like to wander? How long do they live?
They spend all of their time in their webs, usually in their retreats or, when hungry, waiting at the edge of their retreats.

They are extremely long-lived for true spiders. I caught some adult females five years ago, and they are still going strong. Given how long they take to mature (the two I kept from a 2012 brood are not yet full grown), I would not be surprised if they lived 10+ years.

Would a 4" x 4" x 4" enclosure work? Or is that too small?
That would be a little small. Try something like a Kritter Keeper or Exo Terra Breeding Box. You'll eventually be rewarded with a massive web complex.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Would a small Exo Terra breeding box work well? I have an extra in my garage.
I think that would be plenty of space for a Kuk. The feeding hatch will also allow easy access without damaging her web.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
I found a seller who has some with a leg span the size of a quarter. Do they get much bigger than this?