Kritter Keepers

Derek W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
For those of you who keep your T's in Kritter Keepers, what is the smallest sized T that could be housed in one without it being able to escape through one of the air vents on the top of the lid?

The Shadow

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Any T that could possibly creep through one of those small vents shouldnt be in a tank that size in the 1st place. Try somthing much smaller.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would start with 1.5-2inches atleast. I wouldn't even take a chance on anything smaller, you'll be suprised how some Ts that don't look like they can pass through get the job done, they are sly buggers. :)

My 1.5+inch aureostriata was in one and still is. It's a lil bigger T now but still it's KK is good enough for it. If it's an 1inch or smaller, I suggest a deli cup, vial, very very small jar setup for it's type (arboreal or terrestrial, burrowers need a bigger jar for substrate depth). Then make sure you use a small tool either a heated pin or something to make very small size airholes in quantity considering the relative humidity needed for the particular T. Example would be a rosea, smithi etc. liking it more dry so you can put quite a bit of small sized airholes in the jar while a small avic or species requiring more humidity to be left have a little less.

Though you want to keep the humidity moderate or a little higher with humid hungry species, good ventilation is still a must as with a humid enivironment mold can startup. Keep good ventilation while trying your best to satisfy the Ts environmental need and setup is key :). Like I said if its a little over a inch or smaller I would stick with a small jar, deli cup, and correct size vial that would be adequate for it as you can make airholes that are small so no legs can pass through but yet do their job of ventilation. Hope my post helps a bit and puts thing in perspective.

Derek W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would start with 1.5-2inches atleast. I wouldn't even take a chance on anything smaller, you'll be suprised how some Ts that don't look like they can pass through get the job done, they are sly buggers. :)
thanks Ando, I am rehousing my 2 inch L. parahybana into a kritter keeper, just wanted to make sure other people had successfully kept a T at that size in a kritter keeper

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thanks Ando, I am rehousing my 2 inch L. parahybana into a kritter keeper, just wanted to make sure other people had successfully kept a T at that size in a kritter keeper
That's not a bad move although expect to rehouse soon as those parahybanas grow quicker then Trump's bank account. {D

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't keep anything smaller than 1 1/2 inches in the smallest kritter keeper. I always take the plastic handle off for easier lid opening and then I fill in the holes left with hot glue.

Tim St.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If iam Afriad a sling will slip out the vents ill cut out some screen and hot glue it on the lid like this

This is my set up, each Insect Cage* was only 1$ from DOLLARAMA. The stacked ones in the back with red lids are my 2" L. para's, The Orange lids are my 1" OBT, The yellow lid is my 1" P. chordatus, and the Green lid is one of my 1" P. Ornata

iam bugging my wife for a proper shelf, and i think iam almost there,

Last edited: