User korg photo thread

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
6" female Monocentropus lambertoni. No longer gaining DLS and seems to be at maximum size. Does well on dry substrate with a water dish. It is native to the karst landscapes (including caves) of northern Madagascar, which may explain why it has webbed up much of its enclosure but shows little apparent desire to dig as an adult, remaining out in the open much of the time. Not particularly active or aggressive in feeding, but can get extremely defensive if disturbed. Very beautiful spider!

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
7" female Pelinobius muticus. Another one of my favorite Eumenophorinae and a real classic of the hobby.

Looking hungry...

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
2" Hysterocrates gigas... German import, presumably "hobby form." Have a few of these and they're growing quickly!

Juvie male Nhandu coloratovillosus... no longer with me as he's been shipped off for breeding, but I like the picture.

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Eumenophorinae rule
I wholeheartedly agree, and I'm hoping this will be the unofficial subtitle of my photo thread going forward... Definitely my favorite tarantulas.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Where'd you get your H. gigas from?

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Double post

Last edited:

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Recently molted female Lasiodora difficilis, around 3"

0.75" Ephebopus cyanognathus... very glad to have these back in my collection. Stunning appearance, especially as slings and juveniles, extremely quick, and though they're not total digging machines like Hysterocrates spp. they do produce interesting little webbed up turrets at their burrow entrances. I kept a pretty thorough feeding/molt log for one of my males a few years ago in case anyone is interested in a documentation of their growth rate:
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/growth-log-with-feedings-e-cyanognathus-from-2i-to-mm.265836/

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My 7" female Pelinobius muticus was out of her burrow and wandering around the other night so I took a few pictures.

And she had enough of that pretty quickly...

Unsexed Brachypelma albopilosum (hobby form) around 2"

One of my three 0.75" Orphnaecus dichromatus. Not much to look at currently, but I'm really excited to get these slings grown! All three are digging and webbing away, having molted once already in my care and seem to be doing well. This is a unique species, as they're native to Irian Jaya (Western New Guinea) and therefore the only scientifically described member of the genus Orphnaeucus found outside the Philippines. Apparently there are a number of unexpected faunal connections between the East Philippines and West New Guinea that have helped scientists deduce that the two areas were connected via land bridges at some point around 20-25 million years ago. Very striking coloration as adults and not commonly found in the US hobby, so I'm trying to document all I can about their growth, size, etc.

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Alright, enough of the non-Eumenophorinae! My Hysterocrates gigas juvies continue to dig, eat a ton, grow quickly, and be sexed as male. They're getting up above 4" now, though this picture below is of one of the laggards.

A few of the recent molts at around 3.25" from my H. gigas group... managed to get them out before they were totally destroyed, chewed up, and buried:

My two Hysterocrates laticeps slings are also coming along nicely. Even at this small size it seems like the leg IV to leg I ratio is noticeably different from my H. gigas!

My M. lambertoni has been hiding in its cork tube and refusing food, so thinking another molt may be coming along somewhat soon. Haven't had a molt in almost two years at this point. The body structure of this specimen is just great to me... check out the width of that carapace!

Getting a bit defensive.

Not Eumenophorinae, but still a very nice spider... my larger E. cyanognathus sling molted again a few weeks ago and is up around 1.25" now. Due for a rehouse into its adult enclosure in one or two more molts.

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great pictures!
Thank you very much!

Rehoused my H. laticeps slings the other day and took a few photos. They're around 2" now, and show some very nice almost navy blue coloration on their femurs when freshly molted.

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The first of my H. gigas males matured recently... somewhere between 5" and 5.5" and very, very active roaming around and trying to bite his way out of his enclosure. Hopefully going to be breeding these soon.

I believe these took between a year and a half and two years to mature. So relatively quick, but not as quickly as possible for the species.

Grammostola grossa spiderling at 1.5"

E. cyanognathus juvie male around 2.5" and looking amazing... looks like there's even some iridescence on the inside of the leg II femur.

My Monocentropus lambertoni female molted recently. It was about three years since her last molt, and she looks like a completely different spider.

Compared to her previous appearance:

3" female Hysterocrates laticeps... a bit larger than my pictures from November and a very nice looking spider.

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A couple of new additions first... Phlogiellus sp. "palawan" sling a bit over an inch. Seems to be showing adult coloration already, which isn't surprising considering the genus. I'm pretty sure this spider is now known as Phlogiellus johnreylazoi, but haven't had that confirmed. (Please feel free to message me if you have more information on that question)

Very small Phormictopus auratus spiderling after its first molt in my care. Nothing much to see here yet... this is the first Phormictopus I've kept.

Blue fangs no more! Mature male Ephebopus cyanognathus, a bit less than 4" DLS. This one was around 15 months from from 1/2" sling to MM, which is about what I've seen in the past from this species. I seem to get a lot of males when I raise these from slings, but maybe that's just me.

Grammostola grossa juvie male now pushing 4" and still growing quickly. Will probably be selling this guy off for breeding within the next year or so... could use more of them in the hobby!

P. muticus was actually visible the other day... a pretty rare occurrence so I always try to get a picture if she allows it.