KKs for Arboreals

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
So I've seen a couple people use KKs for arboreals with the lid side up, like the standard way to use it.
Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on how well this method of housing works. Thanks

Ranitomeya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you place things for them to anchor webbing to away from the opening, you can get away with them webbing on the lid without making it impossible for you to open it for cleaning and feeding with minimal disturbance. Any water dish that you use will need to be small enough to fit through the door, or else you will be unable to clean it without disturbing the tarantula by removing the lid and tearing at any webbing. If you're lucky, they may decide to put the entrance to their webbing somewhere you can reach with regular tongs, if not, you're going to have to risk putting your hand through the opening with shorter tongs to feed and remove boluses--something I hope you don't do with more defensive and venomous old world arboreals.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i think you would have to glue some thing against the bottom part of the KK if its standing on one small end. to prevent water and sub from falling out. i cant see how much can be done through the opening, i think you would need to open the full lid fairly often. never fully tried it out. seems like a lot of work for a cage.

Ranitomeya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i think you would have to glue some thing against the bottom part of the KK if its standing on one small end. to prevent water and sub from falling out. i cant see how much can be done through the opening, i think you would need to open the full lid fairly often. never fully tried it out. seems like a lot of work for a cage.
I use them with the lid on a side for arboreals and you do need something on the bottom to prevent substrate from coming through. You also need to feed larger prey to prevent escapees, so it's not a setup I use unless they're large tarantulas. What he's asking is how to use them the normal way with the lid on the top for arboreals that prefer to web towards the top.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I use them with the lid on a side for arboreals and you do need something on the bottom to prevent substrate from coming through. You also need to feed larger prey to prevent escapees, so it's not a setup I use unless they're large tarantulas. What he's asking is how to use them the normal way with the lid on the top for arboreals that prefer to web towards the top.
oh lol.

didnt know what you were talking about there. in that case, i dont use them for avics at all. they web too much at the top for me to go about breaking their webs all the time. i use a large one for my L. violaceopes, it has a big web tunnel and plenty of climbing room.i used to use one for my H mac as well because they usually make their hides on the ground.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
While cheap, KKs aren't great for arboreals, seek other containers.

Ranitomeya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They are definitely not ideal if you have a large number of tarantulas and are not up to monitoring and maintaining humidity levels and/or use humidity-lowering heating and air conditioning in your house. I do not use heating and air conditioning and I keep large, tropical aquaria in my room, so I've found that unless I want enclosures to look like they're made out of clear swiss cheese or made mostly of mesh to prevent stagnation and severely reduced evaporation, I need enclosures like KK with very high airflow. It's really up to your own conditions whether or not a type of enclosure is ideal once you've eliminated any aspect of the enclosure that might directly cause harm to your tarantulas. In my room, they've been ideal for all my Avicularia. If you use KK, you will want to make sure to glue some way to secure the little plastic hatch that serves as the opening in the very likely event that the little plastic tabs that secure it snap off after repeated use.

They are definitely not ideal if you're going to use them for arboreals like Avicularia species without putting them on their sides to maximize height or if as mentioned, you are unable to maintain humidity levels with such an well-ventilated container.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
I was watching a guy rehouse a P. rufilata into a KK set up the normal way with lid on top. So I was wondering how functional it would be. I do not have any plans to house arboreals like that though.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was watching a guy rehouse a P. rufilata into a KK set up the normal way with lid on top. So I was wondering how functional it would be. I do not have any plans to house arboreals like that though.
To some degree it depends on the species and its size. I don't care if my finger is near my E sp. Red, but I don't keep my fingers near my Poki or Psalmos ;)

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
While were on the subject of housing, which is the preferred way opening and accessing a pokie or psamlo enclosure, Top opening or side opening?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
While were on the subject of housing, which is the preferred way opening and accessing a pokie or psamlo enclosure, Top opening or side opening?
To each their own on that one too. Arboreals in general I prefer front opening. For a Pokie, I like dual slots, Top AND Front opening.

What's critical for both is the T have at least one secure place it can dart down to.

Psalmo's "always" go down to their hide.

Both need enough room to feel secure when you are moving around in THEIR home.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
To each their own on that one too. Arboreals in general I prefer front opening. For a Pokie, I like dual slots, Top AND Front opening.

What's critical for both is the T have at least one secure place it can dart down to.

I agree with a lot of what you said :) I use a KK for my P. cam and it seems to work out. It is a terrestrial enclosure since it's a small juvie and can live on the ground. I gave it a piece of bark against the back, so I don't disturb any webbing since she made a burrow back there. This is just me, but it seems to work great for T's that like to stay closer to the ground. Top loading is best for me because my Psalmo tends to run around the enclosure, not up. Like their look too, pretty clear. Also, tape can keep humidity if you put some on the vents. Makes it customizable for each T. (Pic for OP of my setup :D)

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I agree with a lot of what you said :) I use a KK for my P. cam and it seems to work out. It is a terrestrial enclosure since it's a small juvie and can live on the ground. I gave it a piece of bark against the back, so I don't disturb any webbing since she made a burrow back there. This is just me, but it seems to work great for T's that like to stay closer to the ground. Top loading is best for me because my Psalmo tends to run around the enclosure, not up. Like their look too, pretty clear. Also, tape can keep humidity if you put some on the vents. Makes it customizable for each T. (Pic for OP of my setup :D)
Yep I'm doing the same thing w/a 3" P. pulcher, but in a larger KK.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Nicely done.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron

What type of enclosure is it, I mean what type of construction. I cant remember if you have posted about this before. For an OW arboreal I am thinking about buying just a frame and setting the acrylic myself to make it top and side opening. I would be afraid a spooked pokie would do the wall laps and end up on me or worse, out on the wall.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What type of enclosure is it, I mean what type of construction. I cant remember if you have posted about this before. For an OW arboreal I am thinking about buying just a frame and setting the acrylic myself to make it top and side opening. I would be afraid a spooked pokie would do the wall laps and end up on me or worse, out on the wall.
It's a KK, I have no idea what it's made of.

As for Poki you can keep them in acrylics or ExoTerra's.

Other people take fish tanks and put them on end.

They can certainly do wall laps when afraid/spooked. It's the world of Asian arboreals after all.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
It's a KK, I have no idea what it's made of.

As for Poki you can keep them in acrylics or ExoTerra's.

Other people take fish tanks and put them on end.

They can certainly do wall laps when afraid/spooked. It's the world of Asian arboreals after all.
I didn't mean what chemicals and raw materials, lust the lay out (sterilite, kk, 10 gal) thanks for all the helpful comments. :D

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I didn't mean what chemicals and raw materials, lust the lay out (sterilite, kk, 10 gal) thanks for all the helpful comments. :D
Sterilite's the cheapest, best space for your dollar. However, I like to see my animals at all times, so I've never used it. Even using a Really Useful Box is a compromise for me!

Once a year at least, Petco has a great sale on tanks that are 10gal plus in size, 1$ a gallon! That's a great deal.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Sterilite's the cheapest, best space for your dollar. However, I like to see my animals at all times, so I've never used it. Even using a Really Useful Box is a compromise for me!

Once a year at least, Petco has a great sale on tanks that are 10gal plus in size, 1$ a gallon! That's a great deal.
My LPS has a deal like that going on now. We'll probably get one even though it's not really needed.

Edit: going to rehouse the genic to a 10gal maybe tomorrow or monday. It would be a great display housing for her.