Kirtlands Snake in Ohio

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Any herpers out there know of any populations of Kirtland's Snake (Clonophis kirtlandii) in Ohio? I have sketchy accounts of them and occasional sightings but no one in my network of resources has come up with a stable population that I can census.

I still need a population in Ohio somewhere to complete a data set for a project im working on.

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
indiana

i have found Clonophis in central and wstern indiana . wet meadows and marshy areas w/ alot of trash or natural cover seems to be prime habitat. never found them in populated areas, although they are supposedly common in abandoned city lots, etc. i have found several at a time, and then never see them again in the same area. secretive little snakes. You may try western ohio. good luck.

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have several definite locations in Indiana for Clonophis and overall I have found much more reliable information for the state. All of the info I get from Ohio is much more sketchy. I just need at least one reliable Ohio site so that my data sets can represent a better overall depiction of the species range.
Right now all i have is an Ohio wild goose hunt:(

Your observations on them are quite correct. They tend to abandoned lot type snakes amongst garbage when in found in more suburban areas.

In nature they are very secretive prefering to hide much of the time in old burrows from things like crayfish.

Thanks for the well wish!