King Baboon

dpjm

Arachnopeon
Hey people. This is my first post in these forums. They seem to be pretty busy compared to others, which is good to see. My question is about my juvi king baboon. It has sealed the entrance to its tunnel, meaning that I can't feed it. Should I just assume that when it is hungry it will reopen that entrance, or should I open it myself. It's been closed for almost a month, and I'm 90% sure it has molted during that time. Thanks for the help.

Mr_Baker4420

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
usually, that web means go away. it probably has molted, but hasn't hardened yet. when it is hungry it will venture into the open, or at least remove the webbing.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Let it go, it'll tear down the web when its ready to eat. It takes awhile for the molt to actually happen, then a couple more weeks before it'll be ready to eat.

-Sean

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bump to what so far is said, don't interrupt the process of molting and post molt hardening, when it's ready it will come out and venture on the floor. good luck with yours! how big is it?:clap:

Dilbrain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My Crawshayi sling has just webbed up the entrance as well.
I'll give it a wide berth for a while then! Cheers for the knowledge, guys !

:clap:

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah i totally agree with what has already been said. molting is a very stressful time for the T. it is its most vulnerable time...and it knows it. the worst thing you can do is open up the webbing and stress it out more. just leave it be and it will come out when its ready.

dpjm

Arachnopeon
Wow. This is a busy forum. I got 5 replies in 3 hours. Thanks to everyone who got back to me.
I will leave it alone. That was my intuition, but I thought I'd ask around anyway.
Another question about king baboons. How do you give them water. I know mine never comes to the surface, at least not that I've ever seen, so a water dish is almost unnecessary. Sometimes I spray a bit of water down the tunnel, but I don't know ow effective that is. Any thoughts?
And Ando55, my KB is a little over an inch from the end of its abdomen to the end of its cephalothorax. I don't know what its legspan would be. It grows relatively slow compared to my OBT.
Also:
0.1.0. Cobalt blue
0.1.0. Usumbara Orange Baboon
0.0.1. Metallic pinktoe
0.0.1. Hottentotta hottentotta
0.0.1. Emperor Scorpion
0.0.1. Ethmostigmus trigonopodus

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice collection! I'm sure your enjoying you're enjoying your H. lividum and OBT, the C crawshayi(King baboon) is a slow grower compared to the OBT, slow grower but it gets pretty big, and also as a tip, if yours have the signature thickened rear legs aka drumsticks you have yourself a "Queen Baboon"...:D

bagheera

ArachnoTiger
Old Timer
Enjoy your pet hole!

I have had several of these, and while they are impressive when grown, and ALWAYS give a good show when disturbed, mostly you have a box of dirt that you know you put a spider in. As to growth rate, think in glacial terms.

I have "heard" of them exploding from underground to sieze prey. I have been know to dig them out...just to see, but not really a good idea!