King Baboon

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Okay, my KB sling not only tunneled, but seems to close the opening of his tunnel. Cant look in. Do i have to worry yet? If the tunnel collapsed on him, would he be able to get out ?...the earth doesnt seem compact, btw...

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
don't worry about it.. .most burrowers will do this at some time or another....

i have an H. minax that wont show signs of life, except for missing crickets...

if it goes a month or 2 without any prey taken, or bulldozing done, might want to check, but this is part of owning a burrowing T.

cweg

Arachnopeon
don't worry

When my KB was a sling he would build a hole. That was it. No tunnel or borrow just a hole. Sometime he would cover the entrance and be in there for a long while. Only after about 2 years and a couple of molts did he start more aggresive earth moving projects.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The guy that runs the local exotic pet store is really mad right now. He got a King Baboon spiderling and it burrowed and it hasnt come out in two weeks. He hasnt been able to sell it because nobody can see it so he wants to dig it up but he doesnt want to anger the spider or interfere with its natural processes.

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tell him to stick a picture on the cage along with a short description of the critter. If he gets a serious inquiry, he can dig up the T and show it to the customer.

Karen N.

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Jobe
Okay, my KB sling not only tunneled, but seems to close the opening of his tunnel. Cant look in. Do i have to worry yet? If the tunnel collapsed on him, would he be able to get out ?...the earth doesnt seem compact, btw...
I wouldn't worry about it Jobe. I hadn't seen my KB in a year before I moved it into a new cage. It had molted and was way bigger when I moved him. Whenever I want to check on him, I just make a hole to the bottum of the substrate. He closes it up before the next day. They are expert burrowers and it is unlikely that their burrow would collapse. Besides, they reinforce the burrow by lining it with web. If it ever does collapse he'd have no trouble digging himself out.
Mike

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks a lot folks! :)

I just saw him again as he began digging a long stretch of his tunnel along the plastic of the KK. They are impresive diggers...this little tyke was at it all night long last nite. Got me so captivated i almost forgot to sleep. Quite groggy in the office now tho :(

Do i just drop a cricket on the top of the substrate?...would he just pop out and whack the cricket?... He is approx 1.5", and i feed him crix about 1"...seems ok so far...