King baboon questions

Daren whitehead

Arachnopeon
Hey there im new to the forums so hopefully this is an ok post ive been in the hobby for a little while have a pink toe and have had rose hairs just got my first "real" tarantula a king baboon and i love him i was wondering tho if the substrate im using is ok if not what do you recommend i use reptibark but ive noticed he complety closed off his burrow in the front so i dont know how he will get food and ive never seen this in other videos and such is this normal and if not do you think its due to the substrate thanks so much and sorry this was long

Attachments

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Avicularia are just as real as P muticus. :punch::rofl:

anyways, that substrate needs to be changed. not good. use peat moss, eco earth, or topsoil. make sure theres a dish in there as well. post pics of your other tarantulas cages, theyre probably set up incorrectly...

Daren whitehead

Arachnopeon
This is my pink toes setup im getting water dishes for both tomorrow she actually just molted so im very exited and i dont have the other tarantulas anymore anyways heres the pics of the pink toes setup thanks for your response

Attachments

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
well, theres enough ventilation. the sub should be (c)hanged out in there as well. there should also be a lot more anchor points and whatnot high up to attach webbing to. not sure if there s dish in there or not, but there should be.

Daren whitehead

Arachnopeon
well, theres enough ventilation. the sub should be hanged out in there as well. there should also be a lot more anchor points and whatnot high up to attach webbing to. not sure if there s dish in there or not, but there should be.
What do you mean the sub should be hanged out also there will be a dish tomorrow and i am going to add more anchor points :)

Daren whitehead

Arachnopeon
im a fast typer, just not a very good one. haha i meant changed.
Oh ok lol all good and one more question about the baboon should i make the hide for him like i did with the hollow log or do they prefer to dig it themselves so when i swap substrates i should just put it in there and let it do its thing?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Oh ok lol all good and one more question about the baboon should i make the hide for him like i did with the hollow log or do they prefer to dig it themselves so when i swap substrates i should just put it in there and let it do its thing?
i usually let mine do its own thing, you can put a hide if you want though.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Pelinobius muticus (King Baboon) is an obligate burrower so needs deep substrate.

I woulnt recommend bark chips for any Theraphosidae.

Give it lots of Top soil/eco earth so it can make burrows. No species can burrow properly with bark chips.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
What I fail to realize is why in this era of online care sheets (that indeed are crap) sometimes jumps out people that use bark chips... because not even in the worst online care sheet I've ever saw someone suggesting that as substrate.

Daren whitehead

Arachnopeon
What I fail to realize is why in this era of online care sheets (that indeed are crap) sometimes jumps out people that use bark chips... because not even in the worst online care sheet I've ever saw someone suggesting that as substrate.
Well i already had it and didnt realize it was a problem my mistake

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well i already had it and didnt realize it was a problem my mistake
I'm not judging you at all, man. You aren't the first one and definitely not the last. It's a thing I can't get, as I've said prior, that "I fail to realize", no matter how much I think about.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
How big is your P.muticus? Are you sure it is a male?
All tarantula are 'real' tarantula. Only difference with an Avicularia sp is that you don't have to visit the ER after a bite.
Switch out the substrate, make sure the P.muticus has at least two times his legspan of dry substrare, preferably more, add a waterdish and a piece of bark, and you're done.
I'll post a link about Avicularia care in a moment, it contains everything you need to know about keeping them succesfully.

Daren whitehead

Arachnopeon
How big is your P.muticus? Are you sure it is a male?
All tarantula are 'real' tarantula. Only difference with an Avicularia sp is that you don't have to visit the ER after a bite.
Switch out the substrate, make sure the P.muticus has at least two times his legspan of dry substrare, preferably more, add a waterdish and a piece of bark, and you're done.
I'll post a link about Avicularia care in a moment, it contains everything you need to know about keeping them succesfully.
The p.muticus is still a juvi rather small and thanks for the reply and help ill do all that and read the article :)